LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Lt1 shuts down help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM

i have gone back threw each wire.... everythings wired correctly im gonna go check them all again....

Old 05-15-2010, 05:53 PM

One thing i did notice was that the fuel pressure went up when i primed the engine, then droped right back down to 0 from 46.... once i started it the pressure jumps back up to 45ish and stays their when its running for the few seconds, the pressure never drops once its running. think this has something to do with it or is it just me over thinking...

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the pressure drop is from a failing pressure regulator or the check valve on the fuel pump is not working. a way to check is to prime it up and clamp off the return line, if it continues to drop then its the fuel pump, if not its the regulator. be very careful clamping the fuel line. its plastic and can crack or break. i slid the sleeve up to reveal a fresh section of fuel line and clamped it there. the plastic was in much better shape and more flexible. dont prime it with the line clamped u can damage an old pump or blow a fuel line..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

for sure the 88 monte carlo doesn't have a theft deterent relay to cut the starter ,
but the 94 ecm needs a fuel enable signal from the theft deterent module.
it is for your injectors.
i went ahead and did the reading on it.
the tests are kind of tough to follow because your symptoms aren't there. it shouldn't even crank if you had the relay in the starter line like a 94 camaro does

Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Im not quite following you... the starter is hooked into the monte system when i turn the key the car starts. The Bypass i bought because someone told me that it seemed like the problem. The person who programed the comp for me took the vats out. So idk what the problem is... I used the noid light on the car and started it the light goes out then the car shuts off its a fraction of a second b4 but idk if thats the vats system or what... The bypass was hooked up to the correct wire (its a dark blue wire that connects to the pcm red plug) just as a test to see if that was the problem still no solution..

Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

yah that's the wire , the dark blue one , for the fuel enable of the anti theft.

you don't have to work about the vats cutting the starter cause you have a monte and not a camaro.

so the injector noid light you hooked up ... it turns off first ... right?
that kills the gas going in. so it stops.

all that comes from the pcm directly and it gets the signal to do that from the crank and cam sensors.
what does the guy that did the programing think ...

Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

that msd opti drive , does it plug to the stock connectors?
that would be you're cam sensor

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

also needs signal from tps, map and mas. also will shut down injectors if engine temp is to high.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Well temp is not the problem it dont run more than 3 seconds so its not getting hot. tps map and mas are hooked up but idk how i can test that they are working. Well im going to hook up the computer today to check it out ill see if i can figure it out. would any one of thease things failing cause thease simptons?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by kkaz642
Well temp is not the problem it dont run more than 3 seconds so its not getting hot. tps map and mas are hooked up but idk how i can test that they are working. Well im going to hook up the computer today to check it out ill see if i can figure it out. would any one of thease things failing cause thease simptons?
While it isn't running long enough to actually overheat, if the temp sensor is bad or wired incorrectly, it can tell the PCM that it is overheating and thus cause it to shut down.

That is why I have suggested that you scan for any stored codes. There are a lot of different things that can possibly cause your problem. If there are any codes set in the computer, it will help diagnose it and solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Lt1 shuts down help!!!