LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lt1 rebuild..need help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM

i have the stock stuff...but the thing is i wanna get ma engine done an then put it in an not having to keep pulling it out ya no..like do boring cam heads rollers..ect i jus nee to no wat kinda stuff to get i have no clue..i want to gain hp

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

ok thats sounds rite..lol thanks for ya help.. if i do get .30 over wat pistons shud i go wit..?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Overdrive Member

OK, so not to be the grammar **** here or anything, but can we at least try to go for complete sentences and fully spelled out words? It makes your posts much easier to read and will probably end up making more people willing to help you amongst other things.

Anyway, back on topic: If your budget it $1700 you're not going to be able to get very far. If everything on the car is currently stock your internal upgrades aren't going to get you much. You really need to free up the intake and exhaust side of things before you really get much benefit from any internal modification. The only things that necessitate the engine being out of the car is boring the block and stroking it. You can do the entire top end with the motor in the car. That said, anything on the top end is going to be easier if the motor is out, but as I said before, your budget doesn't really allow for that.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93 z28 lt-1
naw no 1 told me that it needed to .. i thout it wud do better performance wise.. but i guess not lol ..any suggs? on wat i cn do to gain horses engine wise..like wat kind of pistons.cam?any thing ...thanks
I suggest the stickies at the top or search the countless threads on this same exact subject.

First, increasing performance RELIABLY is not cheap. I fyou just want more HP, then get a 100 shot and install it. Your engine may not last too long but you will have the HP.

If your budget is $1700 then you won't get far. I know it may sound like a lot of money to you but you need to get supporting mods first.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:27 PM

ok here u go grammer ****...first i no im not going to get the world with 1700 dollars i was just asking wat i should do first ..an here you go i will spell everything right so you can read this ok an no 1s begging for your opinion if u cant read it you dont have to write bak every 1 else did not have a problem with the way i was writing....

Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93 z28 lt-1
ok here u go grammer ****...first i no im not going to get the world with 1700 dollars i was just asking wat i should do first ..an here you go i will spell everything right so you can read this ok an no 1s begging for your opinion if u cant read it you dont have to write bak every 1 else did not have a problem with the way i was writing....

93 z28

Allow me to also be a ****. This isn't a text message; it's a forum and full sentences help to convey your point.

It's grammar, not grammer

it's know, not no

it's what, not wat

it's back, not bak

now, on to your question, that is if you care to read this.

You came here and asked a question. You were looking for answers from those who have experience. You then jump down the throat of a member who will help you, but who would also appreciate coherent sentences so we can glean what it is your are trying to accomplish.

You are posting in the LT1 section. The LT1 in the 4th gens ended production in 1997 so it's safe to assume that your questions might have been previously asked over the past 13 years. If you look above, there are stickies and also the search feature is available. A constant theme that you will see is to do the bolt ons first. I know it's not sexy but it must be done.

Your heading says "LT1 rebuild". If you really need to perform a rebuild then for $1700 you will basically be freshening up your engine. The labor, with the exception of machine shop work will be performed by you because there is no money in that $1700 budget to do upgrades.

If the actual intent is to find out how to get the most HP increase for $1700 then I stand by my post of adding giggle juice. (nitrous oxide). You will get a large increase at the expense of reduced engine life.

I welcome you to the forum, invite you to read the stickies, use the search, and appreciate the wisdom of the members. Many of us have learned the hard way and you should take advantage of our experiences.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

93, you may want to look at the title under 95slvrZ28's name before you start picking a fight with him...

anyway, i still say stick to the bolt ons. if there's nothing actually wrong with your motor at this point and all you want is to add power, then bolt ons are the platform you want to begin with. as torque suggested, for 1700 bucks, about all you'll be able to do is a stock rebuild which may add 10HP just because your motor is going to be somewhat tired compared to how it started its life. but that will erase all of your budget, so is 1700 bucks worth 10hp?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with the grammar. It was really annoying reading that text crap.

But I just rebuilt my LT1 and pretty much did a stock freshen up. I more did it just because I wanted to rebuild another engine for the experience. That being said, unless you want to dump ALL of that $1,700 into just making it run like stock....do not both. It is not cheap at all to rebuild these engines even if you do all of the assembly like I did. If the car is running alright then go with bolt-ons. You will get way more performance for the price.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 AM
2nd Gear member

My lt1 has 145,000+ miles on it and still runs like a raped ape. These cars will typically go over 200,000 before needing a rebuild if they are taken care of. Are you rebuilding it because it needs it or because you want more power. More power would be your basic bolt ons. You can rebuild it later if it dont need it.