LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 Questions...headers, cams, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Default LT1 Questions...headers, cams, etc

I have a 96 Z, which already has some mods and whatnot. I was wondering if headers are worth the 15 hrs of work to install and what separates a good camshaft from a bad one? and what camshaft spec is recommended for a LT1? Also the air conditioner has a leak in it and i've tried to re-charge but non-theless i still have no hot air and its 105 in texas right now and the black leather burns everytime i get in the car, is there maybe a nutorious AC leak i dont know about?

sorry if im being newby, im 17 and ima camaro freak mainly because my dad has a 97 30th anniv and we have 2x85 IROCS, and i do all the work on my car

-SVen

Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: LT1 Questions...headers, cams, etc

15 hrs of labor seems a little high for headers, it shouldnt take more than 6-8 at the most

Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 PM

well yea the driver side is the "easy" part and takes about 2-3 hrs but the drivers side sucks because of the lack of space from underneath and on top so the AC components must be re-moved. and if you dont have a lift at home, it takes longer.

what kinda camshafts are recomended for these engines? and what about price and labor hrs?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Droid

All camshafts are good, it all depends on what you intend to do with it. Call one of the camshaft companies, tell them your story, and they will recommend the proper grind, springs, pushrods, etc..

Old 08-17-2006, 07:22 PM

so i cant just buy a camshaft? i need to buy new lifters rockers rods and springs? ii assumed i would was just making sure.

who do you recomend with camshafts? i already have comp cams rockers and springs

Old 08-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Droid

Again, it depends on the camshaft you choose. But you want to avoid problems later. Do yourself a favor an talk to the tech people at Comp Cams, then you can go an buy the cam fro whomever you choose. It is agood idea to replace lifters with a new cam; however, bacause you are using roller lifters you can probably get away by reusing them, but if the roller breaks down from old age it will destroy your nrw cam. If the cam is pretty hot you will need to replace springs to match the cam, the rockers you have should be OK.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 PM

I have a stock 97z28 and I was wondering what kind of performance gain i can expect from the LT4 hot cam? I don't know the lift of duration off hand but was wondering what it would put to the wheels, and If i would need a tune to make it run, or make it run hard. Also, can anyone recommend cylinder heads? Was wondering what flowed the best on the bench and it would have to have 2.02' intakes.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

The LT4 Hot cam Kit is a really good deal ( Cam, Valve Springs and Roller Rockers )and will wake it up alot. I've done alot of these and have seen 50+ HP gain on an engine dyno. I've found that the 1.94" valves are plenty big enough ( torque ) and with a good port job ( one done by a pro with a flow bench ). I've seen 100+HP with the LT4 cam and porting ( 405 @ the rear wheels ) and shorty headers.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:21 AM

thanks I apreciate your take on that. now if I do have the lt4 hot cam put in and a port job done, do I have to have the computer tweeked at all or should I be alright? and if so where can I have that done

Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

The stock computer will do but get one of the Hypertech reprogrammers.

Quick Reply: LT1 Questions...headers, cams, etc