LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 Problems Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Default LT1 Problems Please help

Hi guys, new here, in need of some help
I have a 96 LT1 with the six speed and i have just under 120,000 miles on it, now on to my problems:
1. Had a crack in my radiator and replaced it, since then if i drive it and get it up to temp and shut it off and then start it before it cools down it will peg the temp gauge and then the coolant backs up and boils out through the overflow. So far ive replaced the rad, both temp sensors, confirmed the fans are working, new GM rad cap, new thermostat, and bled out the air. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
2. Occassionally after i start the car my ABS INOP light and my traction control light will come on and stay on. Any ideas on what this could be?
3. Sometimes when i try to start it the security light will come on and not allow me to try to start it again until the light goes off, sometimes it only does it once, sometimes more, it hasnt done this lately but i would like to fix it. Any ideas on what this could be?

thanks for the help in advance[/align]

Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: LT1 Problems Please help

You have 3 unrelated problems.
As for overheating, make sure again that all the air is out of the cooling system, Fill the radiator to the top by removing the cap, don't just fill the overflow bottle. After all the changes it only leaves a coolant leak, or a blown head gasket. Check under the car for leaks, and have the coolant tested for combustion gases.

The ABS problem, have the car scanned wit an ABS scanner &see what the complaint is.

The security problem is probably due to the chip on the key going bad, or bad contacts in the ignition switch. Try a new key first.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 PM

yeah, as far as the head gasket goes, no sure signs, no smoke and the oil looks normal, and i dont see any leeks, but i noticed yesterday that when it boils out the overflow its comin from under the battery tray, so i think i might have a crack in my overflow tank which could be sucking air, which could be why i cant get it bled out the whole way, gonna try that tomorrow

thanks man

Old 08-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Concerning your overheating problem,usually a pressure loss in your cooling system before your engine cools down. You didn't mention how much time elapsed before youtried restart after engine hot condition. Coolant pressure, regulated by the pressure cap, also controls boiling point of the coolant. Sounds to me like you are running hot to begin with for some reason. Maybe a coolant leak that is going unnoticed. Like an intake leak, thermostat housing leak, water pump weep hole leak, heater core leak, etc...a pressure leak that doesn't actually leak onto the ground that would be easy to spot. The leak driesup before it hits the ground due to engine heat. Have your cooling system pressure tested. Also, maybe your new radiator is defective.Apparently, you didn't have the problem before replacingthe cracked radiator, right? Been known to happen.Out of the blue, make sure your new radiator is for your application with AC, if applicable. A radiator with the application of a vehicle without air conditioning has less core tubes resulting in insufficient cooling for an application with AC.
Mark

Old 08-24-2007, 05:41 PM

ok guys, after the new rad, new temp sensors, new rad cap, new thermostat, new overflow tank cap and hose, it still was boiling, and i was out of ideas so i took to a shop and within two hours of dropping it off they had it fixed, somehow when i had replaced the rad i got the bypass hose and the overflow hose reversed on the rad, made me feel like a complete idiot but whatever, i never ever would have checked that

thanks for the help guys
-russ