LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011 | 02:43 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Originally Posted by stockpile
Forgive the stupid question, but I am still pretty new to fourth gen Camaro. Where can I locate (so that I can clean) the MAF? I am currently getting my car tuned by Solomon, and he advised that I clean the MAF with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to eliminate knock.
Ok, if you take off the hose that goes from the airbox (where the air filter is) and your throttle body (the inlet to the engine), you will see there are two hoses., one made of plastic, one of rubber. The rubberr one will have 2 electrical connectors, and a hose coming into the top. On the intake hose, there is a metal box looking thing attached to it. That is is MAF. One side will have a screen, the other will give you access to a little stick looking thing going in the middle. That is what you want to clean.

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!

x01660

Old 05-03-2011 | 09:24 PM
|

Originally Posted by x01660
Ok, if you take off the hose that goes from the airbox (where the air filter is) and your throttle body (the inlet to the engine), you will see there are two hoses., one made of plastic, one of rubber. The rubberr one will have 2 electrical connectors, and a hose coming into the top. On the intake hose, there is a metal box looking thing attached to it. That is is MAF. One side will have a screen, the other will give you access to a little stick looking thing going in the middle. That is what you want to clean.

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!

x01660

Do not touchthe fine wire sensors!

Buy a can of maf cleaner. It was 7.00. The swap could get caught on the sensor and ruin it.

To other post.

I'm waiting for a reaponse for the Po. She did tell me it ha a new radiator. And I did see small amount of leakage coming from the bottom of the water pump. Not pouring out but it's slowly dripping. Could the water have gotten on the belt and sprayed onto the opti?

Old 05-03-2011 | 09:57 PM
The Mustang Hunter

All I can say is prepare for a new water pump and opti...

If that leak is not coming from one of the hoses, it means that the water pump is on its way out, and all that coolant is leaking on the opti, which will kill that too...

If I were you, I would bleed the cooling system, replace the water pump CAREFULLY so that no coolant gets on the dizzy, and hope that the dizzy did not get moisture on it.

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!!

x01660

Old 05-04-2011 | 05:48 PM
|

Thanks everyone.. I am about to test the maf and the ICM

I just called chevy for a new opti they want 846.00 can someone link me to the right opti i need from MSD.
thanks

Old 05-04-2011 | 06:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is for the 94, wow msd is cheaper than the gm performance now. whats up with that. chandlermotorsports sells a warrented one for a little under 200. you want the opti 1

MSD Ignition Pro-Billet LT1 Distributors - SummitRacing.com

Old 05-14-2011 | 02:18 PM
|

thanks craby. You have been a lot of help.

Over the weekend I have had another member off camaroz28 send me his old working ICM, and maf Sensor(behind TB)

I have replaced the Coil, It seemed to fixed the sputter on a short 2 min test drive ( car was in closed loop)

Later that night the problem came back.

I have since replaced the ICM, Both MAF sensors, o2 sensors, plug wires.

I did notice a very small leak coming for the water pump. So I guess I will be replacing the water pump and opti next.

I am not pulling an opti code which is weird..

I went and had the cat checked as well. is checked out fine While I was talking to the guy, he said it could be a water in gas tank issue. Could this be true?
Also, my last fill up my GF put in 87 instead of 93. It now has 93 oct full tank in now. But the sputter has been happening since i bought the car almost two months ago.

would the EGR valve pull a code? are there any other things I should check?

im going to look into checking:
-EGR
-Fuel pump test
-vac leak
-grounds
any other ideas?

Old 05-14-2011 | 04:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its doing it when it goes to closed loop. that would indicate a sensor is failing or has a poor connection. you can test a bunch of things like the temp sensors using shbox 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 05-15-2011 | 09:50 PM
|

Thanks, I guess I have been testing the wrong items. I will test the sensors tomorrow.

I also put in the pass side plugs wires today and seems to help the sputter out a little. Although it is still there.

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cabikejumper
Thanks, I guess I have been testing the wrong items. I will test the sensors tomorrow.

I also put in the pass side plugs wires today and seems to help the sputter out a little. Although it is still there.

ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes

buy the cable and log data

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

he will help you read the codes if you need and provide a tune but the datalog will show you a lot

Old 05-17-2011 | 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes

buy the cable and log data

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

he will help you read the codes if you need and provide a tune but the datalog will show you a lot
I would also recommend Solomon, he is very knowledgeable and patient. I borrowed a cable from him, and he tuned my C5 vette as well as my 96 Z28. I downloaded my stock PCM settings, emailed them to Solomon, and we went back and forth, fine tuning both cars based on the logs I recorded for each tune. He provided 9 tunes for my C5 and 7 for my z28. Along the way, he helped me diagnose issues along the way, including a dirty MAF sensor, bad fuel filter, and possible fuel pump failure with the z. Definitely do the cable loan tune with him, and he'll use the data logs to get you all squared away.