LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Default LT1 help

I am a new Camaro owner and new to ls1tech.

I just bought the car 3 weeks ago from an older lady. I am the second owner. I am having some issues and would like advice from more Fbody owners. I have been trying to research for the last few weeks with no solid answer. the issue i am having is the car will start out great while sittinf for a few hours. Once it hits normal op temp or 3-5 milutes of driving it will start sputtering bad and not move hardly. I was told once it goes from open and a clsed circuit it starts the sputtering.

Little car info:

1994 LT1 camaro A4
173,200 miles
100% stock

I have taken the car to chevy and pulled the following three codes:
48- MAF sensor circuit,52- Ignition control kit, and 50- volt low.

When I first bought the car i have replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, knock sensor and oil change.

The pervious owner has said to have replced the o2 sensors(3 years ago), egr valve(1 year ago), and plugs( 5 years ago).

I have been told to check the Coil, Control module, and opti-spark.

I pulled the wire from the coil and seen it sparking, and when I unclip the control mod it will start but throw a SES and I have been told that the car will not make it past 10-20 miles if the opti was bad.

So far I have ruled out the coil,control mod, and opti.

Ive also had the car running, and unplugged the MAF and the car did not die or throw a SES.

Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your maf. check the second post.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...rt-here-38462/
i would also suggest you pick up a factory service manual for you model and year.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks

I will have to dig up my ohm meter and I will get te maf tested

I have cleaned the maf also would I be correct I'm ruling out the coil,opti, and icm? Since they seem to be functioning?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im having a heck of a time finding these codes. i have found a DTC - 52 Fuel cal-pak incorrect or missing in one place but other than that i dont show anything for a 52.
for the low voltage try cleaning your battery terminals and cable ends, wire brush the heck outa them. clean the wire ends in the power junction box (small plastic red box on the passenger side fenderwell) check and clean if needed your grounds. one on the front of the block on the driver side just below the coil. on on the block in front of the starter, one on the block under the tensioner.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Droid

The DTC 50 could be causing all of your problems. The code indicates that the PCM is getting less than 8 Volts, instead of 12. This could cause it to go stupid. Check fuse #5 in the instrument panel fuse box & make sure it is not corroded. Also check connector #230 (middle connector, the one with the pink wire, there are 5 connectors, you want the second one up from the floor) behind lower right side of instrument panel, to the right of the AC blower. As Craby said, there is no code 52 listed in the FSM.
By unplugging the MAF you are forcing the PCM to stay in open loop. The fact that the engine runs better with the MAF unplugged, is a good indication that there is a sensor problem. It could very well be the MAF, but could also be another sensor. Check the ECT and the IAT sensors with a scanner and verify that the temp they are reporting is reasonable. The PCM is smart enough to detect an electrical fault, but does not have the smarts to detect when a sensor is telling lies.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 AM

SORRY I MADE AN ERROR WHILE TYPING. ITS A DTC 42 not 52. It's a ignition control mod code

Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Name:  P7250002.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  64.0 KB Name:  P7250004.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  47.0 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by cabikejumper
I am a new Camaro owner and new to ls1tech.
Well....since nobody else said it, I will. Welcome to ls1tech.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Well....since nobody else said it, I will. Welcome to ls1tech.
You beat me to it.

Welcome to Camaro Forums!!! Naturally the best Camaro forum online!!!

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!

x01660

P.S.: Ask the previous owner if they changed the water pump or had a coolant hose rupture on them....

Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Forgive the stupid question, but I am still pretty new to fourth gen Camaro. Where can I locate (so that I can clean) the MAF? I am currently getting my car tuned by Solomon, and he advised that I clean the MAF with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to eliminate knock.