LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Lt1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Default Lt1 Camaro

I've been taking a basic automotive class for awhile now, I have two books from the class so far. One is on building horse power out of a 350 small block and the other is a text book on cars and have ASE questions and such. The horse power book is for the high Performance class I plan on taking next semeseter. Learn how to build power and do bolt ons and hook up a super charger.

Anyways I've been thinking about getting a project car. Was thinking about the 4g fox body mustang but after seeing a camaro is much cheaper and comes with the bigger block and more potenial I've moved on to wanting to get a '94-'95 Camaro z28. I want to do some serious mods to it and eventually make it a blown motor.

Is there anything about one of these 4g camaros that make it really great to work with? They look sweet, decent milage considering HP and if I go stick it has 6 gears. Can I buy a tunner for it? Anything specific?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Lt1 Camaro

The 4th gen is not an easy car to work with, mainly because of the way the engine is stuffed under the hood. That being said, the engine responds well to modifications, and the car can be made very fast.

If you are planning to rebuild the engine and supercharging, you should go for the extra bux and put in all forged internals, and put in for bolt main bearing caps. Drop the compression down to about 8:1 and use 10-15 lb blower pressure. Anything more will require racing fuel or water/alchool injection.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 PM

Alright sweet...yeah a friend has an IROC and it looks easy to work on because of the room under the hood. I like how it rides so low and the body is wide. However I want something a bit newer and offers somer newer features. If I did a rebuild it more then likely would be a different engine so I can carb it, build everything on it then just do an engine swap of the beefer 350. I knew about forged and lowering compression.

-Thanks, very helpful and hopefully it's only 3-4 more months.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well it sounds like you have thought about doing the right thing. I would always buy a chevy camaro over a ford. As far as which one, well I do believe that most do great with some modifications. The main thing that I am aware of is the difference of when you are pulling the motor out of a LS1 model. I watched a show that showed the motor has to be dropped from the bottom which required more work to get it out. The LT1 can be taken out from the top like most engines. You might want to get more advice on this if you plan on doing all these changes. I have enjoyed my tremendously. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xlBecomingMorelx

I've been taking a basic automotive class for awhile now, I have two books from the class so far. One is on building horse power out of a 350 small block and the other is a text book on cars and have ASE questions and such. The horse power book is for the high Performance class I plan on taking next semeseter. Learn how to build power and do bolt ons and hook up a super charger.

Anyways I've been thinking about getting a project car. Was thinking about the 4g fox body mustang but after seeing a camaro is much cheaper and comes with the bigger block and more potenial I've moved on to wanting to get a '94-'95 Camaro z28. I want to do some serious mods to it and eventually make it a blown motor.

Is there anything about one of these 4g camaros that make it really great to work with? They look sweet, decent milage considering HP and if I go stick it has 6 gears. Can I buy a tunner for it? Anything specific?
An LT1 is an excellent bargain on the used car market, but they are not only tough to work on, but time consuming, and expensive to modify as well. As Z28Pete said, you'd definitely want forged internals and such. That won't be cheap either. Plan on spending a lot of money.

If you want a car that is easy to work on, I highly suggest choosing a fox-body Mustang. They're easy to work on, and parts are cheaper than dirt.