LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Looking for power

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Looking for power

I have a 94 Z28 and im looking for some good mods. Ive already have cai and exaust. But are underdrive pulleys any good? An what is a better gear set up 3.73 or 4.10. An are electric fans and water pump any good? How about a 52mm tb and is the air foil worth the money. Thanks

Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Looking for power

Is your car going to be a street or strip set up? If it is for the street, 3.73 gears are better for gas milage and there is little difference between that and a 4:10. Undrive pullies are good for both street and strip. Electric fans are also good for both street and strip. The only problem with electric water pumps is that they have a cycle time. You aren't supposed to use them for a continious period of time.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

How about the 52 mm and the air foil.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Tech Droid

Underdrive pulleys on an LT1 are a waste of time & money, the only things driven by belt are the alternator, power steering pump & the AC compressor. The alternator only draws as much power as is neede to run the car, the AC compressor does nothing when the Ac is off, the power steering pump only puts on a load when the steering wheel is turned. The water pump is the biggest power drawing acessory and it does not use a pulley because in the LT1 it is gear driven. You can save a few horses at hig RPM by converting to an electric water pump, get a street rated one rather than a strip only one. Apparently you did not take a good look under the hood, you already have elecric fans. The air foil may get you 3-4 HP, the 52 mm throttle body will do nothing for power until you get to around 400HP and the engine wants the extra air. If you have a A4 transmissio go with the 3.73 gears, if you have the M6 transmission go with the 4.11 gears. If you just want to drag race, go wth 4.56 gears or 5.12 gears, but the the stock rear will probably break.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

They make an under drive balancer. The only kit i'v seen came with two pullies one for the crak that bolted on behind the damper,and the altenator witch is the one thing you don't want to under drive. I heard the air foil wasn't that great the new cyclone was better??

Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Droid

The air foil may produce a few horses at high RPM. The cyclone will lighten your wallet, and that may better the ET by a couple of milliseconds. LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you want to gain minimal time off your E/T. Lose your spare tire, jack, and rear seat. Synthetics are also a good way to reduce drag in your drivetrain. Royal purple will also help. If you can get more air and fuel into your combustion chamber, MSD ignition would be great with Iridium plugs. It will help slightly even with the stock air to fuel ratio.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I wanted to know were can i get the gears i have a 94z28 and well i wanted to know were can i get some gears, i also had something to say about drag. My car drag alot the other day and it has a slow take off, do z28 have a slow take off or a fast take off? i drag for about 24 ft. i saw the tire marks and counted the steps lol about 24 ft.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Droid

The amount of rubber you leave on the road has little to do on how fast the car takes off. You need to learn how to take off quick with little wheelspin. You may want to explain what you mean by "drag".

Old 11-11-2006, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

The amount of rubber you leave on the road has little to do on how fast the car takes off. You need to learn how to take off quick with little wheelspin. You may want to explain what you mean by "drag".
drag i guess i was trying to say how much rubber i leave on the floor like u said. Whats a good tip advice on how to take off with little wheelspin. cuz the other day i got dusted by a mustang gt , the mustang took off really quick while i was still spining

Quick Reply: Looking for power