LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

looking for drop in motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default looking for drop in motor

im looking for a new motor to drop in my lt1 94 z28 m6. any suggestions on a decent priced motor please ....either stock or built just want to no all my options

Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

really no one has any opinions or suggestions for me? whats the point of a forum if nobody knows anything.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear member

In the 1 hour and 19 minutes it took you to do absolutely nothing, and then type out that message you could have gone to google and figured out all the information anyone on this forum would tell you. -.-

It's the generally accepted answer on this forum that the following list is pretty much financial suicide compared to simply buying a new car: v6-v8 swaps, lt1-ls1 swaps, and auto-to-manny (or reverse) swaps. In addition, Anything you could get in terms of a 'drop in' engine could be replicated for about half the price, and made twice as well and twice as reliable for the same price.

Look into Golen engines.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yah true. im just frustrated. the lt1 opti and water pump are bad and the head gasket blew. to fix its is going to be so costly that i might as well buy a new engine... im not looking for any kind of swap. i wanted opinions on clean lt1s from vettes or wherever and prices on the differant options. if its not to expensive id like a low compresion 355 lt1 that i can run boost on.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Unfortunately you're kinda contradicting yourself. The words 'boost' and 'low cost' don't go together at all! And like I said earlier, it really would be cheaper to do all the work yourself, and start with the engine you have. Head gaskets are 50 bucks, doing the labor yourself: total of 50 bucks. opti+water pump prolly about 400 or so: doing the labor yourself: 400 bucks. While she's torn apart, adding all the goodies won't get you anywhere near the 5000-6000+ dollars for a good long block that's ready for boosted applications. That's not including whether you're gonna pull and drop in the new motor, or if you'd have someone else do it.

Basically, the most cost effective thing to do is work with/fix what you have, unless you're pushing rrreeeeeaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy high mileage. :P lol

Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Overdrive Member

To star things off, we're a relatively small community, so you probably won't get answers immediately here just due to the amount of traffic. Second, most people on our forum won't give answers they don't think are correct or they think they are under informed about because we try to keep the tech knowledge as correct as possible so as to not lead people astray.

Now that that's out of the way...

If you want a motor that is already built you can check into a motor from Golen. They have a multitude of short blocks and long blocks ranging throughout various price ranges. If you want to drop in a stock motor you can take one out of a 1994-1997 F-body providing you swap your PCM and wiring harness or a 1993-1996 Corvette if you swap your PCM, harness and accessory bracket. I agree with Robmnrd though, the cheapest thing is still going to be repairing the motor you have.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

true it sounds like a contradiction but it was more in the hopes someone would stumble across this who is parting their car and i could find a sweet deal hahaha. buti digress .... you are both correct it is most cost effective to pull my motor and repair it myself i see that now after checking prices for new motors. i wish it was as cheap as you say rob but my left head is cracked and now i need to decide on new heads or send them to a machine shop :/

Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

or buy used stock heads for like 200 bucks...

Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thats a good option too.. a salvage yard has a lt1 out of another camaro with 70,000 miles he wants 600 for that so im considering that as well

Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear member

:O

I just pulled my old heads. They're off a '93, so they're the thick casting as well (more porting potential). I might let you take them off my hands...for the right price! hahaha

Quick Reply: looking for drop in motor