LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Is a legal setup possible with LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Is a legal setup possible with LT headers

Is it possible to install long tube headers on a 1994 LT1 Camaro and still be legal? I think the answer is no, but I’m hoping to be wrong. I currently live in an area that has no inspections or emissions testing. The problem is that I move a lot and don’t want to run into problems later on if I install LT headers (i.e. if I move to California). According to EPA regulations, it’s illegal to relocate the factory location of the cat or install a different type of cat (See page 5 - http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf ). Apparently, your car could have the best emissions in the world, but would still be illegal if you move the location of your cat or change its type. Does anyone have a LT1 Camaro with LT headers and can still pass strict visual emissions inspections? I want to get confirmation before I look into mid tubes. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

technically, no. however, i think if you even look at a car in california, somehow you're breaking the smog laws.

it all depends on how stiff the testing is. to be safe, just get some shorty's and call it good if you move as much as you say

Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

yea, and actually where i live its illegal to have any modified exhaust. and its really not inforced, but its just away to pull you over.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

california is only place to you wold prolly run into issues you could pass the nevada emission inspection with headers as long as you dont remove the cat... you could switch it with a high performance one if you wanted though

Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Technically it's illegal to relocate any emissions components, in reality as long as you have all the correct components and can pass whatever visual / sniffer emissions test you will be fine. The once exception is Cali. You cannot run long tubes in Cali, you will fail the visual test. You can run a shorty, but long tubes are prohibited. I have pretty strict emissions in my area, but with my long tubes and a catted Y I pass fine (once the cats get warmed up).

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
The Mustang Hunter

I was wondering the same thing and was doing my research:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3857

I know this is for trucks, but the smog laws are the same. And this is the CA standard (where I live...) so if you can get it to pass by these laws, it will pass anywhere else in the US. I hope this helps you.

x01660

Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM

i instoled BBK heathers on my 1997Z28.they fit purfectly.very little modification.kept the O2 and the cat's.looks great to.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all of the help. I will probably move to California in the next couple of years. So, I think I’m going to get the PaceSetter mid length tubes (Part 72C1335) because they are the longest header tubes possible that are CARB exempt. I also think I’m going to get the Magnaflow universal cat (Part 36009) since it is one of the few cats that is CARB exempt. In case anyone reading this also must deal with California, I listed the website displaying CARB exempt parts below. I assume that this Magnaflow cat will have to be welded on like the Monza universal high flow cat. Does anyone already have these headers and this cat installed?

I asked a PaceSetter tech about some of the fitment issues with PaceSetter mid tubes I read about and this was his response:

“All fitment issues have been addressed and fixed. The spark plug issue was a fluke not a common problem. There was a issue with fitment in regards to clearance of the steering shaft. We corrected that problem in 2007. To connect these headers to your cat you will need to cut the stock pipe and either weld or clamp the pipes together. Thank you for your interest.”

All CARB compliant cats
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

All other CARB compliant parts
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Mr_Exacto
Thanks for all of the help. I will probably move to California in the next couple of years. So, I think I’m going to get the PaceSetter mid length tubes (Part 72C1335) because they are the longest header tubes possible that are CARB exempt. I also think I’m going to get the Magnaflow universal cat (Part 36009) since it is one of the few cats that is CARB exempt. In case anyone reading this also must deal with California, I listed the website displaying CARB exempt parts below. I assume that this Magnaflow cat will have to be welded on like the Monza universal high flow cat. Does anyone already have these headers and this cat installed?

I asked a PaceSetter tech about some of the fitment issues with PaceSetter mid tubes I read about and this was his response:

“All fitment issues have been addressed and fixed. The spark plug issue was a fluke not a common problem. There was a issue with fitment in regards to clearance of the steering shaft. We corrected that problem in 2007. To connect these headers to your cat you will need to cut the stock pipe and either weld or clamp the pipes together. Thank you for your interest.”

All CARB compliant cats
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

All other CARB compliant parts
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php
Mr. Exacto,

I do run those same headers that you are thinking about getting and a Magnaflo Cat. (Allthouogh I don't know if it is the same cat you are looking at.) I passed my smog check with no problems. The tech did not even ask about them or look very hard at the headers. He looked under the car and said everything is good here. Yes CA is a pain in the *** to get something by the smog laws. I have never had a problem with any of the smog equipment on any of my cars, So I loose 5 hp. At least I don't have to worry about failing my smog check every 2 years.

Marc