LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

k&n

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default k&n

I have a 96 ss and want to put a K&N in the air box. I have a sheet of paper that came with the car that explains how the K&N filters should never be used in a SS because they allow dust and water to enter the manifold. Is there any truth to this? Is there a better alternative? I know the K&N's are hard to find for an ss. The only place I can find them is RK sports.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: k&n

well, they recommend in the K&N filter oil , to not be mixed with water, if you dont drive it in the rain i guess it doesnt matter, since its not actually directly in front of the intake manifold, and has to make 4 turns in air direction, i dont think it would hurt,, as long as you have a good scoop grille and check the intake box/tube, and MAF every once and a while for condensation.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Tech Droid

You should follow the manufacturer's recommendstion. The K&N filter is no big deal, the good thing about them is that they can be cleaned & reused. Powerwise the K&N has little if no advantage over a new clean paper filter. However, if the filter is built properly< I don't see why it should cause problems.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 AM

KnN filters do in fact let unacceptable amounts of dirt into your engine they have big holes in them wich allows it through and the oil doesnt stop it all whether it gets wet or not they are just not worth it in my opinion.