LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

just bought a Z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default just bought a Z28

hello all, this is my first post here i have recently purchased a 96 camaro z28 that is fairly heavily modified, i do most of my own work and this car is need of a clutch, my question is for reccomendations for a clutch kit as in brand and "stage", or any brand to stay away from i am currently leaning towards a centerforce dual friction. mods already completed dual fuel pumps and big injectors, they are too big this car runs real rich, not sure wether to change out the injectors or maybe an in line pressure regulator and knock the pressure back a bit, a paxton supercharger world product gp2 heads comp cam comp roller rockers bigger water pump taylor wires heddman headers flowmaster exhaust bbk throttlebody a short throw shifter corvette wheels i think thats about it . glad to be a member of the forum and thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! Dual friction is pricy McLeod is king...centerforce clutches are good. I use a spec stage 3 +. Never had a prob with it after 90+ launches at the strip. Very impressed. How large are your injectors? It might be less expensive to just get it tuned. That sounds like an impressive setup u got there :-D. What kinda hp you making? Do you have a dyno sheet or just a butt estimate? How bout some quarter mile times? That thing ought to pull pretty good.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

actually i have not really driven it hard because it had a ****ty clutch since i bought it, it has never been dragged or really abused much but once i get a new clutch and the over fueling in line i plan to take it to the drags or just dyno it. i cant make a guess as to how much she really has. as far as tuning these i am pretty new to he newer camaros, is it just a program i have written to the ecm? or do i buy a electronic fuel controller and cut the fuel back? i am also looking at a zoom kevlar clutch kit that i believe is also dual friction i dont know which one to go with , this is a street car that may see a few runs down the strip so a streetable clutch is a must and i dont wanna put too much stress on the tranny by going with too aggressive of a clutch. also should i go with a fidanza aluminum flywheel or get a billet steel version?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i'd like to get more info on the modifying that has been done to the car...that will allow me to help you more

Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

what would you like to know?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to find someone that uses tunercats or Lt1 edit or dynojet...these are a few of the more commonly used tuner programs. They will hook up a wideband to the tailpipe and be able to tell you if in fact your car is running rich. Then GM allows us to flash the cpu without having to install a chip (i love that). They will straighten that out. maybe $150-250 You will see performance gains also on your car. The ram aluminum flywheel is a good one. THere is a post on here where someone found one for low $300 dollar range from jegs. I got mine from summit think i overpaid..379.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

what are ALL the mods done to the car? if the cpu has been reprogrammed through a mail order, most of the time those are left running on the rich side to avoid catastrophic failure

Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i bought the car with most of the mods already completed. the guy i got it from didnt say anything about a chip or re program so i dont think that has been done but it is possible. any way to check?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

what mods did he have done?

hold up...if i read the original post right...it supercharged, has heads, has a cam, and has bigger injectors? then absolutely the computer has been reprogrammed. at this point, get that thing dyno tuned...it should have been already but it sounds like it hasn't

Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome here man...

Quick Reply: just bought a Z28