LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011 | 02:19 AM
|
The Mustang Hunter
Unhappy Issues.....

I guess that if you drive enough, the problems will appear...

Vehicle: 1995 Z28 M6 vert

Problem #1: I have water pooling on the floorboard behind the driver's seat. I checked the drain plugs and they are in place. This happened to my last camaro. Its really annoying and I am tempted to weld the holes shut. Is there a solution to this problem?

Problem #2: My car keeps "overheating". If i drive the car on the freeway, the temp is fine (right above the first tick mark). If I get off and drive around town, it spikes all the way past the red. I know I have a leaking hose (rather the two that go to the oil cooler, the ones that have a rubber hose going into a metal hose) The leak isnt that big, and I check my coolant every time I drive it. I will get the hose fixed, but is there anyway to bleed the system? I think that there is an air bubble that gets trapped right at the temp sensor.

Problem #3: Occasionally at a stop, I seem to lose power steering. It becomes really hard to turn the wheel, but as soon as I start moving, it goes back to normal. No whining or grinding sound.

Any help, diagrams, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!!

x01660

Old 03-21-2011 | 06:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

#1 No Clue

#2 there are 2 bleed screwed near the water pump. SHbox.com has a good write up for bleeding.

#3 if you have a leak it could be dripping on to your belt causing it to slip which would effect power steering. I know mine had a power steering problem when my upper hose had a leak right near the where the rubber and metal meet. Which in turn it made the belt slip because it was dripping near/on there the power steering pump was.

Last edited by madmax32; 03-21-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-21-2011 | 10:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think this problem has been a leaky rear hatch seal.

make sure the radiator is full while bleeding it. park the car as steep a hill you have in your area, park with the front of the car on the up side. let cool, fill radiator, with the radiator cap off open the bleed screws one at a time and close them when coolant comes out. refill radiator as needed. the bleed screw on the hose will not bleed untill the car is started. soo once you have bleed the lower screws, mine has one under the tb, one on the thermostat cover and one on the hose that is next to the alternator, this is the one that will not bleed without the motor running. anyways once you have fluid coming out of the other or others then with the cap still off start the motor and bleed the hose screw till fluid comes out, check coolant level in the radiator and fill if needed and put the cap on. take the car for a ride around the block and rebleed the screws without removing the radiator cap. then let it cool and do it again to see if air is still there if so repeat till you get no air on the re bleed.

i had this problem with my steering, it was a bad pump. replaced it and it still did it. the rebuilt pump was bad so re replaced it and have not had issues.

Old 03-21-2011 | 11:45 AM
Overdrive Member

Also check the condition of the top near the stress points where the canvas meet the frame of the top. Also where the canvas meets the body is another place prone to leaking. Also check for water around the glass, yet another Convertable leak spot.

Massey

Old 03-25-2011 | 06:50 PM

My 94 z28 had similar overheating problems. I replaced all my coolant hoses, switched to a cooler thermostat, and replaced my stock fan with a more powerful one and it hasn't overheated since, even if I'm sitting in traffic in 80 degree weather.