LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Intake Manifold Gasket Repair

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Intake Manifold Gasket Repair

Now that the weather in MN is starting to turn the corner (supposed to have 50-degree weather next week), I decided its time to start my spring projects on the ol' 95 Z28.

The first task I plan to attempt is to repair the leaky intake manifold. Is there a gasket that you guys would recommend or are they almost all the same? I was planning on buying mine at Napa and came across a hi-performance gasket. Do you know what differs from the hi-perf one vs the regular one? And is the hi-perf one worth the extra cost?

Here are the 2 gaskets I'm talking about...
1)Standard gasket: http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/...580_0147205890

2)hi-performance gasket: http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FPB1284_0300219101

Also considering these...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7243/overview/

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by gagger84; 03-01-2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Link didn't work
Old 03-01-2016, 11:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is it leaking oil or vacuum? im assuming the more expensive ones are thicker and softer for better seal. i usually go with the hp. front and back seals on the intake tend to be where the oil leaks and its all about getting the right amount of rtv

Old 03-01-2016, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
is it leaking oil or vacuum? im assuming the more expensive ones are thicker and softer for better seal. i usually go with the hp. front and back seals on the intake tend to be where the oil leaks and its all about getting the right amount of rtv
Losing oil out the back end of the manifold. Been doing it ever since I got the car from my uncle. Looks like a mess back there and I'm about 95% sure the gaskets on it have never been replaced/fixed. Knock on wood, but haven't really had many other issues with the engine so looking to keep her going until I can make my suspension upgrades and what not.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep the rtv came lose and got sucked in or blown out. brb

Old 03-01-2016, 01:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

see how its got enough to keep it from goint in or out but doesnt drip

Name:  P2200033.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  77.4 KB

Old 03-01-2016, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's definitely the part I'm targeting. What type of RTV did you use? I was leaning between either the Ultra Black or the RightStuff.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

high temp copper stuff. getting oil off both surfaces is important. i use brake cleaner on a rag. seems to work ok.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
high temp copper stuff. getting oil off both surfaces is important. i use brake cleaner on a rag. seems to work ok.
Perfect! I appreciate the help!

I was planning on stocking up on the brake cleaner and if worse comes to worse, my work has come very good parts cleaner solvent so I could always use that. I'm thinking with the nice weather so early, I'll be able to take a little more time on getting the mating surfaces nice and clean.

Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2016, 02:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i use a pencil when installing intake. well pieces of pencil. they are just the right size to fit into the intake bolt holes in the block nice and snug yet not to hard to get out. to get length needed i get everything ready to install the intake. set the intake in place without rvt or gaskets then put a pencil in one of the front bolt holes. i kinda screw them in. mark the pencil just above the edge of the intake, like a half inch. you need enough to be able to get some pliers on them to get em out. take pencil out and cut 4 pieces the same length as the mark. put your gaskets on and pencil pieces in 4 bolt holes, not the ones all the way in back though and far enough apart so you will be able to set the intake on them without it going down untill you want it to. then put the rvt down. the pieces of pencil will allow you to get the intake in and have a way to set it down before dropping it all the way in. they also work as a guide so it goes down right the first time and doesnt mess up the rvt. i think i remembered it right, havent done it in a few years.

Last edited by craby; 03-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I definitely plan on giving that a shot. I remember reading one of your postings awhile back saying you did something like that. Kinda looking forward to this project, not really sure why though... It'll be my first attempt.

Thanks again for the help! Hoping to document everything as I stumble through it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket Repair