LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Intake full of oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Intake full of oil!!!

ok, so my 1994 z28 lt1 w/ 6 speed, has had a hard time starting the last 2 weeks. I figured that it was either my opti starting to go, bad pump, or a bad regulator. I hooked up my pressure tester this morning and i am sitting right at 43 with the key on, ignition off, but when i had the hood up, when i started the car, i noticed a little puff of black smoke come out of my intake. well come to find out my tb is full of oil. I think it is the gasket on the top of the tb that feeds in oil. because i put an air foil in and i think i didn't get that gasket to seal right. Does anyone think that could be the problem. any info would be great, thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

What kind of oil? Olive, corn, or maybe soy bean? Time for a rebuild or time for the junkyard!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the only way to get oil in the tb is from the vacumn hoses. pvc and such. pull the hoses off the tb and see what they look like. the top cover on the tb seals the air bypass that routs though the top, no oil there that i know of. not on mine anyways,

Old 02-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

I just cleaned mine! After removing the metal pvc plate on the bottom of the intake, whoa, it was nasty! All sludged up and the passages in the intake from the egr, air, pcv, were all coated in sludge. Cleaned with some brake/parts cleaner and I am going to finish up with some hot soapy water and the pressure washer! It's time for a rebuild dude! I would get a Haynes repair manual, a hooker hoyst, and see if you can find access to an engine lift and stand!

Last edited by CraZ28; 02-27-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Droid

The air foil causing oil in the TB is an old known problem, especially with higher mileage engines. Apparently it seals a breather hole in the TB. Also the PCV valve could be stuck open, or the engine having a lot of blow-by.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear member

swung in by the gm dealer and they their master mechanic said it was the gasket on top of the throttle body, figures that when i did the airfoil, something must of not sealed up, priced out a new one from them and you have to get it with a new cover now so its $45 bucks. I know you can get them from jegs for $19, anyone know of any other place that makes billet nameplates that come with a gasket?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Wow, you mean he actually talked to you. Dam, they usually don't unless you pay fifty k on a car. Then they kiss your as for a little while. The last time I went to the dealership they charged me six hundred bucks to put a smog pump on! But no one ever mentioned anything about an exhaust leak or my check valves could be bad!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

craz28, do you think before you type or do you just start hitting keys?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by lt4weeda
swung in by the gm dealer and they their master mechanic said it was the gasket on top of the throttle body, figures that when i did the airfoil, something must of not sealed up, priced out a new one from them and you have to get it with a new cover now so its $45 bucks. I know you can get them from jegs for $19, anyone know of any other place that makes billet nameplates that come with a gasket?
u can get them tops from alot of places but they seem to be in the subcatagories. i dont think u will find any cheaper than at jegs. if i remember right its not easy getting the gaskets, almost have to buy the top. i might have a gasket around here if thats what your looking for, ill keep my eyes open.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go to AutoZone, buy a roll of gasket material, use the old gasket as a template, and cut your own.

Quick Reply: Intake full of oil!!!