LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Insurance Rates?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Default Insurance Rates?!?

Hello My name is Derek and I just joined minutes ago. I do not own a Camaro...yet. I have found this beauty and will possibly be purchasing within the next couple weeks.

I however have reservations because I am worried what the insurance rates are going to be. If anyone could help me out by giving me an approximation that would be awesome.

I am 17 Years old and will turn 18 in August. I drive on average 10 miles(Tops) everyday but that will be less due to summer break. I am an A student that is very responsible. I am the only person that would be driving the car and it would be my premiere car. I could possibly be put on my parents policy. The car in question has 150XXX miles. It is an Auto.

Im not sure what else an insurance company looks for.

Thanks for your time and your help is EXTREMELY appreciated.
-Derek

Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear member

I do not know how much it is for a V8 camaro but it will be alot. I had a 86 Monte Carlo when i turned 19 and it cost me $500 a month to keep insured. You will get some discounts because it has more safty features but you should not be surprised if comes out to close to three grand a month. Call around to your local insurance agents and get a quote.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 AM
4th Gear Member

It is going to cost a arm & leg because of your age and the car you are going with. Check for Insurance quotes before you buy. The only way to know for sure, just my guess it is goingto be about $150/$300 per month.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to be on your parents policy. You will need to get a quote from their insurance agent. Even where you live can greatly effect the cost of your policy. You will pay a ton more in Philly then you would in Dayton. For me my insurance would double if I lived 30 miles to the south of where I live.

Back in the day when I was 19, I had a 74 Z28 clone and I paid $124 per month for full coverage. The dealer I worked for took a 79 Z28 low miles on trade. There was nothing major wrong with it. It was just sitting for awhile. It needed exhaust, Brakes gone over and the fuel system cleaned. I could have gotten it for $1200. When i talk to the agent he said since I was under 23 I would be concidered high risk. He normally could not even offer me insurance but since my Dad had been with the company a long time he could offer it to me for $2500 Liability only. I thought it was funny at the time because my 74 would blow the door off the 79 but since it was a clone the insurance company did not see it as high risk.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-17-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Odd... did anyone else notice that car is a 98+ front end and it has an LT-1 in it? probly a front end conversion is my guess....

Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I swear he mentioned it had a new front clip due to a fender bender; but it must've been in another thread or somewhere in my mind~

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Yes the car was in a fender bender and the owner decided to update the look while it was in for repairs. And thanks for the help guys. My parents dont want me having a V8 for my first car but I think theyre going to let me get it. It now all depends on what our insurance quote is and if the bank approves the loan for it.

Thanks again. This is a great forum and if I get the car then hopefully you guys will see alot more of me.

-Derek

Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy101
I do not know how much it is for a V8 camaro but it will be alot. I had a 86 Monte Carlo when i turned 19 and it cost me $500 a month to keep insured. You will get some discounts because it has more safty features but you should not be surprised if comes out to close to three grand a month. Call around to your local insurance agents and get a quote.
could these rediculously high prices be due to the fact that you live in Long Island NY? Cause here in Missouri that pricing is outrageous.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im insured under my moms cavaler and she is insured on my car and im 16, A-B student and its like $450 every 6 months but her car is a v4 so it will be higher but $3000 a month is not realistic unless you are getting comprehencive

Last edited by eric forman; 05-17-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: i left stuff out
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by eric forman
im insured under my moms cavaler and she is insured on my car and im 16, A-B student and its like $450 every 6 months but her car is a v4 so it will be higher but $3000 a month is not realistic unless you are getting comprehencive
So if I can get on my parents policy then I can expect considerably lower prices...

I think Tommorrow my mom is going to get an estimate on insurance costs for the car....CROSS YOUR FINGERS!

I so badly want this car even though it is not the best chioce for a first car.

Quick Reply: Insurance Rates?!?