LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Ignition/Opti Spark is driving me up a wall

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Default Ignition/Opti Spark is driving me up a wall

Thought it was missing out a little bit...and I thought it was a fouled plug, so I replaced the ORIGIONAL AC DELCO plugs with some NGKs...then took it on a test drive around Fort Bliss...got about a mile down the road and went to get on it, and it backfired pretty hard and shut off...hasn't started since that day. Since then, I've replaced the Optispark, coil, and ignition module, and checked what I believe is every ignition fuse on the car.

1993 LT1 B4C
BRAND NEW ECM...it was in the mail when this problem happened and I have tried everything with both old and new ECM...(I had code 24 and code something else stuck on my old one)
Recently replaced fuel pump
When this happened, the optispark that was in it was about 2 months, 2000 miles old.
New MSD super coil wires
NGK plugs

The fuses that I checked were in the fuse box on the driver's side under the hood, and the one on the inside of the driver's side door...

Somebody help me plz!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: Ignition/Opti Spark is driving me up a wall

Oh...I forgot to add that I used a spark tester...the one that goes between plug and plug wire, to test #1 cylinder and got no light. I also put it between my new coil and the optispark and didn't get anything...I'm convinced that it is a wire problem, as I've replaced EVERYTHING on the entire ignition system to my knowledge. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what wires I need to test...or if there's a different fuse or something obvious that I'm missing?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Ignition/Opti Spark is driving me up a wall

Take a look at this website and maybe it will shed some light on the subject. I can't think of anything except wiring leading up to the opti.

http://shbox.com/page/index.html