LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Hypertech Power Programmer Hack

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Default Hypertech Power Programmer Hack

I've hacked my Hypertech Power Programmer III for 1995 Camaro/Firebird and 94-95 Corvettes. I can program any number of PCM's - has anyone ever read of anyone else doing this ??

Attached Thumbnails Hypertech Power Programmer Hack-pb250030.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

explain more

Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 PM

It's a handy little tool...you can upload your modified bin tuning files to it, set the VIN to match the target vehicle and voila! Target car doesn't need a laptop or anything just plug into the ALDL port under the wheel and flash away. It's handy as heck, because not only can you upload your tune, you can also adjust for axle ratio, tire size, shift point etc on the go, in the car, and without a laptop in just a couple of minutes!

HANDY DANDY !! I'm sure I'm not the first, but dang it's a handy tool considering it was free, or at least paid for like 15 years ago !! lol

Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think the question may have been referring to how the hack works. I've used a Power Programmer before, and am curious how you worked around the proprietary lock. Being able to now use it on multiple cars is nice (one that Hypertech I'm sure hates). Since it's not locked to any one specific car, can you still set any tuned computer back to factory specs if you wanted to?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I think the question may have been referring to how the hack works. I've used a Power Programmer before, and am curious how you worked around the proprietary lock. Being able to now use it on multiple cars is nice (one that Hypertech I'm sure hates). Since it's not locked to any one specific car, can you still set any tuned computer back to factory specs if you wanted to?
It's not really locked, it just checks to see if it has a VIN stored in memory; if it does, it has to match during the handshake. Once the VIN has been verified, it checks to make sure your bin file has not changed; if it has, then it downloads a fresh copy before it's ready to go.

If you want to put it back to factory, you would need to either back it up firs with your laptop, or download it from the Htech unit after it has been used: it stores a copy of whatever is in the PCM (normally stock tune) before it downloads the modified tune bin file.

I'll attach a very handy file for anyone who' s into this sort of thing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
$EE Hack.pdf (158.2 KB, 2048 views)

Last edited by b1heqh54; 06-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That "locked to the car" feature is something I didn't like. When you sell the car, you either set the car back to factory (so you don't screw up the buyer), or sell the programmer with the car.
And most programmers were single year specific.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That "locked to the car" feature is something I didn't like. When you sell the car, you either set the car back to factory (so you don't screw up the buyer), or sell the programmer with the car.
And most programmers were single year specific.
I still find them for sale in the classifieds in the locked condition...always someone trying to pin it on the next guy lol

Old 06-17-2012, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

So where is the DIY guide to making one of these tools

Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 AM
4th Gear Member

this is your 2nd such thread on the same topic

I upgraded from a Hypertech and simply now use Solomon. The amount of times my car needs to be re-tuned (rarely) does n ot warrant doing it differently

so, to save you the bush you are beating around

and it seems you are trying to solicit business

why would a customer choose you over Solomon or pcmforless??

here is where you explain your value prop, years of experience etc

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
this is your 2nd such thread on the same topic

I upgraded from a Hypertech and simply now use Solomon. The amount of times my car needs to be re-tuned (rarely) does n ot warrant doing it differently

so, to save you the bush you are beating around

and it seems you are trying to solicit business

why would a customer choose you over Solomon or pcmforless??

here is where you explain your value prop, years of experience etc
my oh my such a cynical soul lol - this is just my hobby - I like to help others help themselves
if you want to pay someone else to fiddle with something you don't have the skills for, all the power to you but personally I think you're nuts (and I can post a "Solomon" tune for you if you like)

Quick Reply: Hypertech Power Programmer Hack