LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

how much HP will this setup make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how much HP will this setup make?

hey guys..i might be doing a lt1 swap in a 3rd gen this winter and i want to know a est hp rating this setup will make at the crank..

setup:

a lt1 out of a later model impala/ camaro/ firebird

home made cold air intake
port matched intake and heads
cleaned up heads
simple rebuild cleaning the internals new gaskets, rings and bearings
freash tuneup
lt4 cam
underdrive pully
and tune..

Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

depends on a few other things like what tb, injectors, rockers, exhaust and comuter tune. i would say in the 300 to 350 area with more posible depending on what is used.

Last edited by craby; 01-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

339.27 h.p....give or take!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

This is a pretty cool program I found when trying to find the right cam for my car. You just put in everything you are doing to the car and it gives you the horsepower and torque curves. Obviously it is not exact, but will give you a really good idea.

http://www.compcams.com/camquest/

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

if i can afford it a summit racing twin 58mm TB, are lt1 and lt4 injectors the same size? and idk about the rockers yet i havent thought about thos yet..i may keep em stock till i do something bigger to the motor..like bore .30 over..

the exhaust..if theres room sbc LT headers, 3" inlet and outlet magna flow cats, open custom x-pipe, 2 magnaflow mufflers and dumps before the rear axle..and for tune..pcm for less maybe..i see some guys on here get theres tuned by them

Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JordanT
This is a pretty cool program I found when trying to find the right cam for my car. You just put in everything you are doing to the car and it gives you the horsepower and torque curves. Obviously it is not exact, but will give you a really good idea.

http://www.compcams.com/camquest/
thats cool man, im just gonna go lt4 cam for now..i want something thats just a tiny bit milder than stock but ill deff look at that when i go bigger with the motor

Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

first off, sbc headers will not work on an LT1...you need to get LT1 specific headers

2nd, it depends on what heads you're using. impala heads are iron and camaro heads are aluminum. iron heads flow a little better stock, but aluminum heads are better for porting. a lot of your horsepower plans depend on how much porting you do to the heads. i wanna say most people are getting around 300RWHP from the hotcam with stock heads. i think you'd be better off going with a cam such as the cc503 where you would see around 330RWHP on stock heads. also, you're going to have to change the valve springs as stock springs are only able to hold the stock cam's lift.

pcmforless does an excellent job with mail order tunes. brian is a good guy to deal with and will help you any way he can. also, i wouldn't trust just any guy to port my heads. look into lloyd elliott at www.elliottsportworks.com and look into his budget heads/cam package. great deal for a nice setup.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

ok so if i do a lt4 hotcam id HAVE to change the springs.. what springs do you prefer?

and has for heads, if i get a camaro lt1 ill keep it a basic port match then if i get money.. ill have about $2000 by winter, and most of this stuff comes off how cheap i can get a good camaro body, motor, and trans..my dad has a spare 12 bolt with 3.73s already installed i may try to put in..

Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

if all you do is the hotcam, GM made springs that would be fine with it. i will probably have some solid springs up for sale after i get my new engine that i'd probably sell ya that will hold a lot more than a hotcam.

i really don't think you can get a body motor and trans for 2 grand...let alone being able to mod the thing. but i wish ya the best

Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah..i figured it wont be a 1 time deal..the motor will prolly be taken out of the car mulitple times before i can be satisfied for the time being..if i can get a simple hotcam, intake and exhaust, and tume id be happy..then add on to that as time passes, in the long run id love to have a all motor 396 and t56 but thats for way in the future lol

Quick Reply: how much HP will this setup make?