LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

how to ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default how to ?

hey all well found out my torque converter is locking up all of a sudden didnt use to do this but now it does, came from me hitting the brakes to much one day behind slow drivers doing 13MPH in a 35 MPH zone but anyway....

is there a cheap and easy way i can unlock my torque converter so it wont lockup anymore?? when it locks up i loose alot of power and the whole car starts to shutter and i give it gas to go it wont go till it unlocks and thats pass half throttle..
if i have to drop the pan i will cause im gonna weld a drain port on it so i wont have to keep droping the pan when i wanna change fluid

ive been driving it for almost 1 year and it just started doing this crap, changed fluid and filter but didnt help well might have but you know

btw :i have a 94 z28 camaro not stock but dont know whats in it i bought it this way with all the mods on it

Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

has any ses lights come on? have u scanned for any trouble codes stored in the computer? the converter is locked by a solonoid inside the trans and i think its controled by the ecu.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

no ses light after replacing the thing that goes into the air filter after the MAF just the small plug thing in the elbow right before the throttle body ,,,,,no codes after scan,,,,,what exactly is the ecu? if you dont mind me asking....just had my ignition switch replaced today,, it gave out on me but crap goes that way

BTW: thanks for replying again

Last edited by samtron; 06-12-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

engine control unit. also called a ecm/engine control modual, its the main computer. what u replaced was the iat/air intake temp sensor.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The torque converter is suppose to lock up when you're cruising in 4th gear. Tap the brake and it unlocks.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Easiest way to make sure your converter doesn't lock up is to put your shifter in D instead of O/D. If it still keeps locking up, you have a problem with the controls. Are you sure you're not feeling it just go into overdrive without the converter locking up? If the converter locks at low speeds, it'll stall the engine when you come to a stop.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah it will lock up in 3rd gear to and at low speeds alot and it does stall the engine so i have to press the gas in while im coming to a stopand downshift it manually to 2nd or 1st gaer or it will try to stall out. this has never locked up before the day i pressed the brakes to many times in less then 10 min...if i hold the gas to cruise then barley hold the brake in it will unlock and drives like it use to and it has HP again lol

Last edited by samtron; 06-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by meissen
The torque converter is suppose to lock up when you're cruising in 4th gear. Tap the brake and it unlocks.
if i tap the gas it will unlock to and still in OD but not for long and the car shutters very bad when its locked like driving over rumble strips in the road lol

Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well my dad got back from michigan and drove it and he thinks its the tcc solenoid he might be right since hes worked on cars for 43 years lol

Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Are you throwing any codes? The TCC circuit failure is DTC 83 but it won't cause the TCC to lock up - it's that the car can't command the TCC on.