LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

hopefully this isnt serious

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default hopefully this isnt serious

Just wondering on my '94 Z28 Borla Cat-Back, on the highway or at high speeds (70mph+) when I let off the gas and slowly get back on it I get a weird sound coming out my exhaust, almost like a throaty "womp womp womp" for a second then goes away. It'll only happen when Im going pretty fast and sometimes at lower speeds.

Does anyone else have this problem with Borla or is it something I should really look into with my engine?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u may be running rich and the leftover fuel is lighing up in the exhaust when u bring the throttle back up. is it backfireing at all when u let up on the throttle.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
u may be running rich and the leftover fuel is lighing up in the exhaust when u bring the throttle back up. is it backfireing at all when u let up on the throttle.
I've run at all grades of gas and it still makes that noise, nope no backfires just that muffled womp noise

Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u sure its in the exhaust. could it be a drivetrain issue.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im pretty sure ur just hearing a mild backfire from running rich if not it could be youre driveshaft thats making the noise look for a worn bearing or major wear and tear on it. . .
how many miles?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
are u sure its in the exhaust. could it be a drivetrain issue.
I'm assuming that, I'm playing this one by ear because I don't have the necessary tools with me at the moment to properly take anything off and look at it...

Originally Posted by divineal
im pretty sure ur just hearing a mild backfire from running rich if not it could be youre driveshaft thats making the noise look for a worn bearing or major wear and tear on it. . .
how many miles?
That's the thing though I've run at 83, 89, and 93 octane and have gotten this through all. There isn't any difference in the noise from grades of gas either..

60k miles...

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

it COULD also be your gears whining

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Did you install the Borla system or was it on the car when you bought it? If you installed it, did the car make that noise with the old system? If not, that pretty much tells you where the noise is now coming from. You may just be hearing some exhaust "rap" noise due to the more open exhaust. Or does it sound more like a thumping, and do you feel anything on the floor like something may be hitting or vibrating?
You didn't inadvertently opt for the "womp womp womp" feature with the Borla system, did you? That costs more!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lol true it might be the exhast hitting under the car lol

Old 12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Did you install the Borla system or was it on the car when you bought it? If you installed it, did the car make that noise with the old system? If not, that pretty much tells you where the noise is now coming from. You may just be hearing some exhaust "rap" noise due to the more open exhaust. Or does it sound more like a thumping, and do you feel anything on the floor like something may be hitting or vibrating?
You didn't inadvertently opt for the "womp womp womp" feature with the Borla system, did you? That costs more!
It was on the car when I bought it, and its made the noise even before I opened it up all the way.
No thumping or vibrating, just the womp womp womp.
Of course not! If I wanted that I could just make the noise myself as I'm driving down the road..."I'm cool WOMP WOMP WOMP...WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP"

Quick Reply: hopefully this isnt serious