LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

help please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default help please!!!!!!!

i finished my lt4 hot cam swap 2 weeks ago but i still cant get it running. whenn u try and start it, it sounds like a built engine running on low octane, but it never starts, it just spits and spudders like when you cut a car off running too low of octane. ive tore it back apart and put it back together to see if i did something wrong but it still does the same thing. it gets fuel and i think its getting fire because the headers get hot after a couple times trying to start it. im lost cause everything was fine when i took it apart. i need some suggestions, help please!!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like it might be the valve lash isn't set right. Which procedure did you follow?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

Valve lash is a possibility. Sounds like the distributor could be out by 180 degrees. Maybe you were on dtc on the wrong stroke. Maybe you were dtc on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. I would dbl check the distributor and dbl check the valve lash. Those are good places to start. Most likely you'll find the error in one of those two procedures. Good luck, let us know how you make out. We'd like to know where your issue lies.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Droid

The distribuor in this engine only goes in one position, unless it is forced. Check the valve lash, and if that is correct verify the cam timing.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i did the spin method on the rods to set it up just to get it started then i was going to finish adjusting them with the engine running but i cant get it to start. as far as setting the timing i aligned the timing marks on the timing chain and put it together, the optispark has two settings on the back, one for tdc 1 and one for tdc 6, i tried both but neither will get it running, this is my 7th camaro but my first lt1 so i dont know a whole lot about it. i have the haynes manuel on it but it dont say much about timing, an suggestions

Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Even though you're going after a rough static adjustment to get the engine started, you still need to be somewhat accurate or the engine won't run or won't run well. Not saying you didn't do it right, but it's suspect.

Valve Lash Adjustment Video - Engine Building Car Repair DVD - YouTube

Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im going to redo the valve lash this weekend when i get off work, in the mean time, just incase, could someone break down the timing on an lt1 one for me cause i cant find anything solid about setting the timing for my car, thanks for the advice

Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You don't set the timing. The opti goes on only way, provided you didn't use a hammer or force it against the timing cover with the mounting bolts.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok, thanks

Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I messed with it a little this morning cause i got up early, im about positive my valve lash is right, is there anything else that might cause this, just to recap i put in gm lt4 hotcam, gm perfomance valve springs, hardened push rods, gm perfomance lt4 extreme duty timing set, and lt4 knock sensor for a 96 corvette. Did i miss anything, could jegs possibly told me the wrong push rod lenght to use, i know it uses stock length pushrods, but several companies told me different lengths, so what length should i have just to make sure that aint the problem. i have done cam swaps before but in old school small blocks, this lt1 has me all screwed up