LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help! overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Question Help! overheating

I dont know if posting this in the right section (sorry im new to the site) but i have a 95 camaro z28. After driving it a lil bit (15miles or so) a light comes on saying its low on engine coolant. after more driving it will start to get hot. it has plenty of engine coolant and the radiators full. I dont think its the thermastat either..any suggestions will be much apreciated thanks! p.s. waterpump shows no leakage either

Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Droid

Are the fans running when the temp goes up? Is the air dam under the front end still there?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 PM

ill have to check for too see if the fans are running tomorrow as it is dark now. idk what an air dam is?? also a lil more info it seems to get hot at low speeds and idle and then cool down when i get it going..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Thermostat? might be time for a new one.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM

just put a new one in it today and nothing changed..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Sometimes air pockets get in to the motor, creating hot spots, and if one is near the thermostat it will do crazy things. You might need to purge the water system of air and only use the collant reservoir. As Pete said, check to make sure the fans are working and the air dam is in place.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM

ok i checked it and when its running the fans arent coming on.. so what should i check to fix that????

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

you could take the easy way out and run them to a switch inside the car, that's what i did with my old car, ran cool as a cucumber

and the air dam is the piece of black plastic that sits below and in fron of the engine, look down next to the throttle body, if you can see the ground, it's gone.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM

ok the air dam is still there. how else could i fix the fan, i wouldnt know how to run them to a switch. i mean if there not turning on, what could be wrong with them? fuse??, just need to be replaced??

Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

For the low coolant light, it sounds like it's the sensor, on the left side of the radiator on the back, below the hose. it's a rectangle looking thing and has a C clip that holds it onto the radiator. If I remember correctly, it's $30 from gmpartsdirect.com. If you didn't replace the thermo with a 180 degree, that's a good idea to do. Check the fuses and relay for the fans to make sure they are working. To wire them to a switch, there is a kit avail, can't remember who makes it, or you can do it yourself by bypassing the relay, requires running two wires from the relay to the switch in your car. You can also get your comp reprogrammed to turn the fans on at a lower temp if you get your fans working correctly. If you have GFX's on your car, a longer air dam is needed, it's not a bad idea for cars without GFX's anyway. Works really well for low speed in city driving.

Quick Reply: Help! overheating