LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

help, groaning/creaking sound from rear

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help, groaning/creaking sound from rear

back again, with a new problem unfortunately. A few months back i hit a curb bent the axle shaft and had it replaced. I was told the posi is going bad but ims till concernedwith the noise i hear. I hear a groaning/creaking noise when making slightly sharp turns, sounds like its coming from the rear. I just replaced the rear rotors to see if that was the case but it sounds just as bad. Any ideas?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you only hear it when taking turns its going to be something loose or worn with your suspension, nothing to do with your brakes. You would only hear something worn you were going to stop if it was a problem with the brakes. Check your sway bar end links and the sway bar frame mount bushings, your track bar bushings, and your shock mount bushings to see if any of them look loose. You can also try bouncing the back of the car when setting still to see if you hear it then. If you do then get a friend to bounce the car while you listen underneath to see if you can locate the sound. It's very likely you could have bent something else when your bent your rear end also but its probably just a worn bushing.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when the axle was replaced was the additive added to the rear gear oil?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by rs657f
I was told the posi is going bad but ims till concernedwith the noise i hear. I hear a groaning/creaking noise when making slightly sharp turns
A bad posi (LSD) can make groaning creaking clunking popping noises when making turns. Was it described to you exactly what was bad with yours?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear Member

all the fluids were replaced after the axle was repaired, the guy i bought the car from didnt give the car much TLC as he shouldve. I was told there was grinding in the posi due to there not being any fluid inside, no bueno i know. I tried the car bouncing when it was in park and it sounds nothing like it does when it turns. Hopefully it may be some kind of bushing issue. So if the posi was to go bad while i was driving it what would happen?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you did not tell me you already know your posi was bad I would have said check the posi. Grinding around corners most of the time is cause buy a worn out posi. Since you are hitting metal to metal the parts are grinding a making little pieces of metal that are getting in your oil. These "shavings" get into your bearings and will cause them to fail. It may take awhile. In the worst car the posi unit itself can come a part and the parts will get wedge between the ring and pinion and stops the back wheels. I have seen this twice. Most of the time it just wipes out the bearings until the owner can't stand the grinding any more. It will get louder.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good thing the rear cover has a magnet to grab the finely ground metal powder out of the oil. Even if the clutch linings in the posi are gone, the metal on metal is still being lubricated. Not to mention, the opposing parts are only moving against each other by the difference in speed between the inner and outer wheels, which is minimal compared to the actual speed they're spinning.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

thank you for your insight youve helped tremendously. I just paid for that axle to get replaced so im in a rut right now. Would it just be best to replace the entire differential?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look around the local wrecking/parts yards and see if they have any 4th gen camaros. may be able to pick one up for a good price. just for piece of mind look on the recept and see if they charged you for additive. if its not added you will get noise on turns.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Camaro69 always answers the questions perfectly. nice job. Clutch fibers gone on the posi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help, groaning/creaking sound from rear