LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

HELP with 95 Z28 Camaro V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Default HELP with 95 Z28 Camaro V8

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to the mechanics world. Everything I have ever worked on didn't have a computer to mess with. My son and I are working together on his 95 V8 Camaro. We replaced the plugs, oil, fuel injection lines, thermostat and cleaned the MAFS. He drove it no more then 5 miles down the road and now it won't start, it makes a phew phew sound and then nothing happens. I am at a loss and the whole system is beyond my skill level. However, I volunteered to help him. Its just us, so we are looking for assistance. We have a book, we have read all that we can about where to check. But still at a loss as to where to start.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks
Momsthemechanic.

PS I held the flashlight for MANY years while my ex worked on his car so I have a understanding of what I am doing

Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Since you cleaned the MAF. I'd start looking there first, especially if it was starting and running ok before.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forums, You should post over in the 4th gen tech section. This is the meet and greet area.

Your 95 has several challanges like an Opti spark ignition and car of that age are **** to fuel pump failure. Just looking at the computer information can be problematic on the 95 even for mechanics.

Many times newer members are not up to the right language for describing problems, you could cut through a lot of effort by making short videos of the car trying to start or anything you think is relevant.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-19-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved thread to the 4th gen section, hopefully you'll get more help here.
I'd check for fuel at the fuel rail. Find the schrader valve on the rail, push it in with a small screwdriver, and see if gas sprays out with good pressure (cover with a rag first). If it dribbles out, or you get nothing at all, you have a fuel supply problem, possibly the pump as Gorn mentioned. Give it a shot of starting fluid into the throttle body. If the engine runs for a moment, then you know for sure it's a fuel supply problem.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM
4th Gear Member

IWelcome to the site.
In fact, you can fit a tire pressure gauge - pencil type - onto the fuel rail Schrader valve to see pressure.
WD40 is good to spray into the intake for running purposes.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Curious about using the WD40, as it's the propellant that is/was the volatile part, not the oil. You'd get the same effect using spray paint, but I wouldn't recommend the mess. Why I'm curious about using WD40 as a starting fluid, with today's low VOC requirements, are the propellants still as volatile (and effective) as they used to be?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

would not be good for the maf

Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 PM

Not the maf sensor just put a brand new one in

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM

It wasn't running all that great be for I cleaned the maf it would backfire above 3000 rpm and die but it died for good the other day working on puttiing a video

Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Welcome to the forums, You should post over in the 4th gen tech section. This is the meet and greet area.

Your 95 has several challanges like an Opti spark ignition and car of that age are **** to fuel pump failure. Just looking at the computer information can be problematic on the 95 even for mechanics.

Many times newer members are not up to the right language for describing problems, you could cut through a lot of effort by making short videos of the car trying to start or anything you think is relevant.
how do i post a video ?