LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help 95 LT1 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009 | 03:35 PM
|
Question Help 95 LT1 !!!

my camaro is having serious problems..it has no power/sluggish you can put the pedal to the floor and it wont acclerate and it makes a popping noise... you have to baby it around alot...I have taken this car to a transmission shop and they told me that there is a code on saying the trans is overheating.and if you look at the fluid it is definently burnt..but they refused to work on it becuase they believed the trans was good and that the engine was the problem i took it to a mechanic and he said that the heads were warped and thats why when i put the car under load it makes those noises..someone else thought it could be a throttle cable? no check engine lights are on and it sounds fine at idle..and more info would be appreciated!!

Old 08-10-2009 | 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Is there coolant in your oil? Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Are you losing water or overheating (the motor, not the trans)? If you have a warped head gasket you will probably be experiencing one of those symptoms. Slow acceleration and popping can be due to multiple things, fuel or ignition related.

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:49 PM

warped heads slugish performance
sounds like you have a blown headgasket maybe a cracked block check for white smoke and check your coolant you could have oil in ur coolant it would look wierd and goopy if you had oil in it

Old 08-11-2009 | 01:31 PM
|

ok there isnt cooling in the oil and it has never smoked yet..when i bought it,it was getting hot and leaking but after a while it just stopped leaking and quit overheating...

Old 08-11-2009 | 01:32 PM
|

put a new radiator in also when i bought it

Old 08-11-2009 | 01:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

can u make a recording of it and or get some pictures of were the leak was. when u say overheating do u mean the gage was in the red or u had steam coming from under the hood and the gage was maxed out. were was the leak at that stopped? did u do anything to help make it stop? so no oil in radiator and no water in oil? what color is the oil? picures would help alot

Old 08-11-2009 | 04:05 PM
|

it looks like its coming from the hoses connecting to the waterpump.sorry for the crappy pics.

Attached Thumbnails Help 95 LT1 !!!-waterpump1.jpg   Help 95 LT1 !!!-waterpump2.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009 | 04:20 PM
|

ooo yea the car never overheated to the redline on the temp gauge..i always shut it off before it got that hot and it never blew steam or anything like that..

Old 08-11-2009 | 07:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im gona say its probly the water pump. and if your water pump is leaking on the opti it will go soon so if ur goin to do the pump do the opti. have u blead the air out of the cooling system, there are little screws on the thermostat cover, under the trottle body and on a cooling hose on the passenger side by the alterator. if u dont get the air out it will overheat. also make sure it is not a hose before doing the pump or opti because doing these two things cost alot. couple hundred for the pump and 400 for the gm/acdelco performer opti. 500 for the msd. these are the two that are recomended by most guys and are the most reliable. put a gm performance in my last camaro and it went till i got rid of it a 100k later. ive had a couple guys on here that had a cheep opti last a couple weeks.

Old 08-11-2009 | 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does the engine act the same whether it's cold or hot?