LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Default Heat

I have a 1996 V6 Camaro. When it started getting cold out, I found that I had no heat and particles floating around in my coolant. I've had a flush & fill done, replaced the stat, replaced the heater core. I even tried replacing the radiator cap (just in case), but that just made it worse, so I put the original one back on. Other than the radiator cap, each step has seemed to make it a little better, but the heat is definitely not optimal. It's been determined that there are no leaks anywhere. Also, when I move my temp dial into the blue, the air coming out of the vents is much stronger than when I move it into the red. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-28-2005, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Heat

i have a 94 z28 and the same thing happened to me, if you had all those things done at the same place or did it yourself than they or you need to do a pressure flush there is a coolant screw in the block of your motor and the other side is the knock sensor. you need to take them both out and do a high pressure flush. im not sure exacty where it is on the 3.4's but anyway use your old radiator cap or something to make a strong seal drill it out to the size of your hose, screw the cap back on and do it that way, my guess it is clogged in your block somewhere so this should take care of it. hope that helps

Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
2nd Gear member

by the way you need to take out your thermostat to do it right otherwise you might damage the thermostat.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Droid

Carefully feel both pipes/hoses going to the heater core, they both should be very hot (same as radiator hoses) when the engine is at running temperature. If they are not hot , something in the heater circuit is clogged. If they are both hot, then there is a problem under the dash with the heater box, or the fins on the heater core are plugged with dirt.

Things to keep in mind:
1) Was the heater core really replaced?
2) Are the air doors/valves in heater box moving or sealing properly?
3) If the core was replaced, was it sealed in properly so that air can't flow around it and bypass it?

Being that you are getting more air flow when turning down the temperatue, it would seem that the air is having difficulty going throughthe heater core fins.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Yes, both of the hoses are hot. I watched all of these repairs being done, and the h.c. was definitely installed. The guy who installed it also checked to make sure it was sealed, so, as far as I can tell (not being an expert myself), this part can be ruled out as an issue.

Thanks for your reply! I suspect something under the dash, as well.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Here's the next piece: They're saying they have removed the water pump and found that there was no water in one of the channels. They pushed coolant through to remove a blockage and are, so far, getting good heat. They're going to fire her up in a little while after she's sat in the cold for a bit. However, if the heat is not sustained once they fire her back up, they may have to pull the head. Is this making sense?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:11 PM

I've got her in the shop, and they're saying they have removed the water pump and found that there was no water in one of the channels. They pushed coolant through to remove a blockage and are, so far, getting good heat. They're going to fire her up in a little while after she's sat in the cold for a bit. However, if the heat is not sustained once they fire her back up, they may have to pull the head. Is this sounding logical?

Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

FullThrottleChick, it could very well be a blown head gasket as well. An ex of mine had a 1995 S10, and when the head gasket blew, the a/c wouldn't blow cool air, and the heat wouldn't work either, I don't think. Check the oil to make sure it isn't milky.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:54 AM

Hmm.... At this point in time, the a/c blows cold air (and lots of it) in my case. No milky oil either.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Tech Droid

I really don't see where the heads are involved with the heater, especially since both the inlet & otlet hoses are hot, indicating hot water is being circulated to the heater core.

Quick Reply: Heat