Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

nice thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear member

I think ill be going with percys as well

Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Any speed shop will have it. Most auto parts stores have it as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I got my 02 extensions from a speed shop that ordered them for me. I also purchased the block off plates. Then had the car re tuned. Never had the ses light come on. It's been 10 years now.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

OBDI cars have 2 O2s while OBDII cars have 4. Two in front of the cat, and 2 behind.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member

I may do a header install in a few months... how bad is it really? People make it sound awful lol but ive rebuilt top ends and done head gaskets on 4 cylinders before and i didnt have any trouble with that even when bolts stripped or broke. Is it just time consuming, because i have patience? i guess what im trying to ask is how long should i expect to spend on the swap?

Last edited by greenmachine96; 02-05-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
I may do a header install in a few months... how bad is it really? People make it sound awful lol but ive rebuilt top ends and done head gaskets on 4 cylinders before and i didnt have any trouble with that even when bolts stripped or broke. Is it just time consuming, because i have patience? i guess what im trying to ask is how long should i expect to spend on the swap?
that depends on your capabilities, tools and work area. You aren't going to install just long tubes, you'll need a y pipe as well and then need for it to attach to your aftermarket cat back system (silly to try and use stock system)

I had no issues with bolt removal from the old exh manifolds

If you are going without egr and AIR then those headers go in easier

Could it be done in a day, sure. But, allow for 2 days in your garage at home because you will be replacing plugs and wires as well since you're right there.

You may also find it a good time to replace the tranny mount

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
that depends on your capabilities, tools and work area. You aren't going to install just long tubes, you'll need a y pipe as well and then need for it to attach to your aftermarket cat back system (silly to try and use stock system)

I had no issues with bolt removal from the old exh manifolds

If you are going without egr and AIR then those headers go in easier

Could it be done in a day, sure. But, allow for 2 days in your garage at home because you will be replacing plugs and wires as well since you're right there.

You may also find it a good time to replace the tranny mount
I know the parts i need and stuff and a have good ability with tools. I work on cars almost everyday but i do not tackle big stuff like this all the time, at least not yet. Im an auto tech student and have tons of tools to get the job done. I was just curious how long it usually takes the first time around for a guy who turns wrenches pretty frequently but has never done a header swap on the LT-1.... plugs are no big deal i can change the plugs in about 1 -1.5 hours and the wires should be easier with the alternator and stuff out of the way (they are what is a pain really)...... hopefully the bolts arent too much of a pain when i tackle it but i plan on soaking them in pb for a couple of weeks before i get in there and then with atf and acetone mixed the night before. That mixture is better than PB and liquid wrench, it does and awesome job pentrating rust.

BTW my tranny mount is new it was replaced about 2 months ago.

Last edited by greenmachine96; 02-05-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

If u do it without a lift, it'll take twice as long and a lot more patience. When I did it, I removed the egr and the AIR, so it was easier. But fitting them is very tight. Tougher at home. You'll need a healthy dose of patience, and time. If your not eliminating the air and egr, things take longer. You get more hp if you remove the emission crap. My runs like a raped ape with only a set of long tubes, a 3" ORY, a custom 3' cat back to a Hooker muffler, a CAI, a chip, and a shift kit. For handling, I went with an entire BMR suspension front and rear with Bilstein shocks, and Eibach springs. Now I can corner using all the power the car makes. The A arms with their new ball joints made a huge difference over stock. The torque arm is a noticeable improvement when launching.

Quick Reply: Header install on a 4th gen