LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Having Trouble removing optispark timing cover seal 94LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I just looked at pics I took of my own when I did the optispark job to refresh my memory. That was a whole month and a half ago! The opti shaft isn't sticking out past the seal. I thought it might have been a tad. So you probably don't need to use a block as a spacer to get it away from the shaft. But it might give you some prying leverage if you need it. And if you did, you won't need a thick block, maybe even the handle of a wire brush. Get the screwdriver in enough under the seal to catch the back side, just short of the housing.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ya im going to need the leverage. I tried it that way earlier and was affraid of damaging the timin chain cove itself....so i thought i would ask the question on here before i go ahead at it

Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is the old seal a greenish colored rubber looking type? Or did it have a visible metal body. I'm talking about before you started tearing it up.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a greenish colored rubber. You can tell there is a thin piece of metal in the middle of the rubber

Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That's the factory type seal, and I didn't have to fight with mine at all to get it out. You got "lucky" I guess.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

thats my luck for ya

Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Well i finally was able to get that stupid seal out. It was REALLY seized in there. I used a razor blade to cut through some of the rubber on the outside rim of the stuck seal and used some liquid wrench to get in there. After alot of prying i was able to get it out. I took a flashlight and looked around the timing cover where that seal went to look for razor blade marks, i didnt see any (except for on the outside of the timing cover where i slipped off twice). Should i use a little RTV sealant on the new seal or will the seal be able to expand and make a good seal still?? I have looked and seen some people recommend using some sealant since they have experienced their optis filling with oil from this seal. any suggestions?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you talking about a scratch or a gouge? And is it towards the outer part of where the seal contacts the cover, or is it all across the width of where the seal goes? If it really bothers you, then put a little (and I mean a little) dab of RTV on the cover. Basically dab a little on the spot, then wipe it off with a finger to only leave some in the scratch/gouge. Don't schmootz it on or you could wind up with a mess inside.
Damn, what a fight that was! Did I happen to mention that my old seal practically fell out?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

the small cuts are on the outside of the timing cover where the face of the seal (when seated). i might just add a very little amount or RTV like u said just to cover my butt though but i dont see any major gouges inside the timing cover where the seal sits when i looked around with a flash light. and ya it was a good 20 minute battle this afteroon i had...and in case u wondering it doesnt feel too good when your hand whacks against your radiator fan when the screw driver slips off :-p lol

Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it's any consolation, I didn't get away with blood-free knuckles after the job was done either! If that gouge is like on the outside corner and not affecting the flat seal surface, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You would need to have a gouge starting from the inside (back end of seal) working it's way out for oil to leak past it. Your mark is after the fact.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble removing optispark timing cover seal 94LT1