LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Gutting my cats... Need some wisdom plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gutting my cats... Need some wisdom plz

Alright So I wanted straight pipes but I wont pass physical inspection with emissions. So I was wondering if I take my cats off and heat them up til bright red and cool em off with water wouldnt that break off all the stuff inside the cats? or should I use a chizzle to them?

I am just worried am I doing this the right way? will I pass emissions still? and better yet.. Will it sound good or sound like crap?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Not advised. You wont pass emissions - thats what the cat is for. It wont even change the sound as much or the same as you think.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

well i dont have cats on my camaro . i did the chizzle method while it was still on the car. unless they actually unbolt the exhaust they will never know its gone. but like thomas said, it probly wont sound any different. but if you do like i did. just try to clean out all that you can. i also started it with exhaust off and blew the rest of it out. might not be the smartest idea. but it worked. took a good min though.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

So it wont sound the same... will the performance side of it be better though?

Old 08-25-2009, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SixShooterCamaro
So it wont sound the same... will the performance side of it be better though?
Minimal, if at all, with a "Gutted" cat.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 AM
2nd Gear member

I took my cat completely off my 93 and it sounds totally different. It was an aftermarket exhaust though with a catco cat and a cheap muffler. Way better sound though. I told my buddies I was going to put a different exhaust on it and they said, why it sounds awesome. So, I had my wife to drive it up the road while I listened and it does sound really good.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Gutted my cat 94 Z28- got loud and smelled bad from behind. Also no noticeable hp gain. You can buy high flow replacements for cheap and still retain some backpressure with good sound.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it wont necessarily fail just from gutting the cats. my mustang (that has 6 cats from the factory) passed with an offroad exhaust. I wire tied some old cat shields to my hpipe to make it look like something was there for the mirrors. they flow tested it and it passed. I wouldn't suggest that though cuz if they found that and wanted to be a jerk then you could probly get into trouble.

the only thing is some cars you will get a check engine light from the rear o2 sensors if you have no cats. dunno about camaros.

I hate emmissions.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear member

I guess its just because I'm from the country, but I never have to worry about a sticker. $20 and I could get a sticker for anything. Dont even look at nothing except insurance and registration. That makes it nice so you can do anything you want to your car.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I think im just gonna get high flow cats and then just get the electrical cut outs for it... Ill be good to go

Quick Reply: Gutting my cats... Need some wisdom plz