LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Got a Few ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Got a Few ??'s

Hi guys/gals,

So Im new to the 4th gen game and Im about to get my first one at the end of this month. 93 Z28 6speed. Theres a few things I'll need to do in the up coming months.

1. Shifter. Stock one is sloppy and huge. Whats a good short throw replacement?

2. Clutch. Mine has allot of miles on it and its gonna need replaced sooner or later. Are GM pieces ok here? Future mods might be an LT4 cam, some bowl blending, port matching and exhaust.... so not crazy hp

3. Exhaust. Id like to do headers and a full dual system to the back. What headers are you guys using and do you go with 2 pipes all the way to the back or keep the transverse muffler and Y set up?

4. Who repairs factory CD players?

5. Gas gauge is off and goes far past full but runs out of gas around 1/2 tank? Whats up with that?

6. Oil pressure sender was recently replaced, but the gauge on the dash still pegs out. Is it the gauge itself or something else?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

For the shifter you can get a short stick for cheap; which shortens the throws quite dramatically and removes some slop. Aftermarket shifters such as Hurst and B&M will run a couple hundred bucks.

An OEM clutch would be fine for your application, but if you want to upgrade look into Monster or Centerforce.

For headers, how much do you want to spend? Im not too familiar with the LT1 options, but for the LS1 the top name brands such as ARH and Kooks run close to a grand. Budget options such as Hooker, BBK, TSP and even Pacesetter are perfectly fine as well. Always get ceramic coated if you cannot get stainless steel though.

The Y-pipe is pretty standard, there are only a couple options for true duals from manufacturers; TSP and Kooks are the only ones I know of, and the TSP is really just a dumped X pipe. Most applications of dual exhausts are custom done, and will cost you quite a penny if you want to to do it right; mandrel bends, stainless steel. The Y=pipe setup flows plenty well for a stock cube car, and even when a big cam is used a 3" y-pipe is not restrictive.

Can't help you on the CD player; might be cheaper to just get an aftermarket HU.

Gas guage innacuracies are common, wouldnt worry much about it.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the suggestions. I know headers can be spendy. I have purchased LG's and Stainless Works headers before. Ill probably hold off for a while on the headers. I think the clutch will be what I do first. I bought a Monster Level 2 for my Z06 Vette. I dont think the Z28 will be putting down what my Z06 is , so I need to try to save some money and probably go with stock GM.

Any idea on the oil pressure issue?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your wires to the oil pressure sending unit to see if its grounded. i would recomend you pick up a factory shop manual for your yr. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1808603..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Last edited by craby; 05-10-2012 at 07:32 AM.