LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Fixed my Air Conditioning last night!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Default Fixed my Air Conditioning last night!

I bought my 1995 Z28 early this spring and the air conditioning has not worked....It didnt work for the previous owner either.
Last night I went to autozone and bought one of those "Subzero" recharge kit that has oil/freon/leakseal all in one with a hose/gauge for $39.99

I tryed to put a little freon into the system to trigger the system to start the compressor....wouldn't work....unplugged the three pin switch on the low pressure side and jumpered the pins...the fans kicked on but no compressor.....so I was getting frustrated and it wouldnt take any freon even though the system pressure was pretty low...I pulled the cover off the relay station under the hood and pulled the relay for the A/C compressor and it was fine....so I took a wire and jumpered the terminals to force the compressor clutch to start....It then took the freon into the system and I filled it with one large can from the kit. the pressure read perfect for the ambient temperature.
But when the jumpers were pulled the system would quit working.....ticked me off. I ended up jumpering it again and drove it around for about 30 minutes....I unhooked the battery for about 20 minutes and rehooked up all the swithes and relays...I reconnected the battery then started the car...the System took right off and worked fine....I checked it again and its holding pressure just fine.

Does the computer have that much control over the A/C or was maybe something just sticky from all the years of sitting idle and not working? It was the first time I ever tried to service a A/C system....I feel like a old hand at this particular car now...And let me tell you that Subzero kit made for some "see-your-breath" seriously cold air!!!!!!

I have driven it a few more times since and it works perfectly everytime now. How many of your Camaro's have non-functioning A/C? do they just lose freon or is it failures of some other sort?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Default RE: Fixed my Air Conditioning last night!

I also fixed my Cigarette lighter/ABS/Traction control/Horns and a few other electrical gremlins I have had last night too....Mostly it was completely missing fuses....and a bad cigarette lighter element that I threw in the trash never to replace....now my retard detector works great....

I think someone was stealing fuses out of this car for some unknown reason.....I got the car for $3000 and its really in nice shape besides all the electrical gremlins I have been tracing....The thing had a freaking BS alarm system that went straight into the trash too...Caused alot of problems

Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Droid

Good deal. I still haven't figured out why people add aftermarket alarm to car that already has a much better factory system.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:42 PM

You aint kidding, The car had a sidewinder alarm system with remote start and all kinds of crap....they disabled the pass-key system and screwed it up....I have a security light on the dash at all times now...There is a push button under the dash to start the car since something screwed up and the start position doesnt release correctly or something...I tried connecting the wires back together where the diode for the remote start was and it didnt seem to turn off the security light or do anything.
The alarm system was hacked into every wire practically under the dash and kick panels....stupid piggyback connectors that chew through the insulation of perfectly good wires to tap into them.....They should shoot the guy who invented them.

I still dont have the power locks working again...maybe tonight. And the radio was a major hack job.....the jerks cut off the factory plug....so all the wires are loose. I still have the el cheapo Jenson that was in it when I got it but I have a brand new I-pod ready Pioneer to go in it.
I did replace the hack job of the speakers already....twisted wires....no tape....no crimp connector nothing.....I cant believe some peoples stupidity....I used to wire industrial equipment at work so I know the proper way to do all it...I have Alpine/Audiobahn speakers to go in it.
There is also a dang power wire that was for a amp that I cant find....its twice the size of a battery cable and runs into the frame....I can see the end by the battery but the other end is yet to be found. I pulled about 100' of speaker wires out of the car that were under the carpet and behind every panel....The car was missing a bunch of interior plastic panels....I found some for free through a customer.....luckily tan isnt that popular of a color I guess.

I need to fix the hack job fuel pump access panel in the hatch floor....(Dont ask how bad it is) And replace the carpet then fix the leather side bolster on the drivers seat. then the interior will look really nice. The exterior is great besides a dent in the drivers rocker panel....I can fix it easy and paint that myself....looks like someone got into a parking bump with it or a curb.