LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

finally bought a richporter opti are they ok?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default finally bought a richporter opti are they ok?

for $212 brand new complete unit, no core, are these reliable?

i got started on it today but havent installed it so let me know if its junk. its from oriellys special order. i could see bearings on my water pump shaft and it looked like a bunch were missing so i bought a reman pump and when i got it home i noticed the mounting surfaced was nasty pitted, forgot the damn reciept in the store too but im gunna swap it tomorrow or raise hell till i get one. its junk

i still have to remove the balancer, i have a puller not a 3 jaw, it should work but shobox shows a 3 jaw puller so is there a reason for that instead of a reg balancer puller.
my ground strap melted a hole in my air pump so thats not going back in. but will the car run right with out it? i plan on longtubes next paycheck so no air crap would be there.

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 03-21-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow i cant believe they rebuilt that pump. yah get a different one.
i always use a regular three bolt balance puller and have not had any problems.
my air pump would throw a code if i umplugged it but if the fuse was pulled it would not. only time it comes on is at warmup so you should not have issues with not having it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I just tapped my lower pulley off with a block of wood and hammer from under the car. The pulley slips right back on with ease, once all the built up rust and crud is cleaned off it and the hub. And yeah, nice looking piece of crap water pump.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Overdrive Member

I work at O'Reilly's and I so far have never seen a Richporter Distributor come back for any reason. I sell quite a few for hondas, since it is only a few $$$ more than the ignighter and comes with a lifetime warranty and the ignighter. As for the waterpumps... see if we have the new one available, they are, well, brand new not rebuilt.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MST0/CP5068.oap?keyword=water+pump&pt=01398&ppt=C0331

Massey

Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

yea we use you guys at my work(midas). i got a differant pump.the cars all done finally. yeah the cap and rotor is 245 lol by its self and the reman dist is like 185, it was either this one or chandler and i hate oredering online and waiting and i got the dizzy for less from work from you guys so 199 plus tax is good for a new one with lifetime warranty
Originally Posted by Massey
I work at O'Reilly's and I so far have never seen a Richporter Distributor come back for any reason. I sell quite a few for hondas, since it is only a few $$$ more than the ignighter and comes with a lifetime warranty and the ignighter. As for the waterpumps... see if we have the new one available, they are, well, brand new not rebuilt. I did the tb coolant bypass while i was down there. so yeah dont wanna do it again anytime soon i bought a 3 jaw puller set at harbor frieght for $20 really nice set, considering the ones every place else were too big and a normal balance puller is a no go on these. maybe my gas milage will be better now
i still gotta replace my fuel lines but for now i used the doorman nylon repair fittings so next pay check ill order the 113 dollar ones from gm for peace of mind
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MST0/CP5068.oap?keyword=water+pump&pt=01398&ppt=C0331

Massey

Last edited by hoursetraitor; 03-22-2011 at 03:42 AM.