LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

engin bay clean up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default engin bay clean up

ok i was wanting to take the valve covers off and clean them up and a little bit of paint on them and re paint the intake manifold its red and i want to keep it red just want to touch it up because the paint is chipping and make it look a little neater

how hard is it to do this task to take everything off and put on and what is the best paint for this application?

also is there a way to hide a few of the wires so i dont look to cluttered i dont want to a full wire tuck

Old 12-13-2014, 02:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i am very happy with the powder coating on my intake. after years it still looks great. valve covers look like crab.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is no way to answer how hard it is. It depends too much on you and the tools you have. I have seen guys fight all day doing a water pump in an old pickup, for me its a 45 minute job.

Also you have to take into account how detailed you are and the condition of the car. I have seen guys take hours cleaning a motor and never pick up a wrench or a paint can and that is on a motor that cleaned last year.

Don't worry about heat resistant paints but don't buy generic either. Rustolem, Krylon or duplicolor are all good to over 350 degs. If your motor gets over 350 degs how well your paint condition is will not mater, the only one seeing it is the metal scraper.

Remember paint will not stick to oil or dirt so the largest part of this job is cleaning.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
i am very happy with the powder coating on my intake. after years it still looks great. valve covers look like crab.
Its not bad bad its just peeling off in some spots ill try to get pics in a little bit

gorn:

Im a very detailed person lol more of a perfectionist but i know that when it comes to dirt and grime elbow grease can only go so far lol.

I was talking in terms cause my 3.4 i had before i had to tare the top half of the motor off just to get to the covers and was wondering the steps for the intake manifold and valve cover removal on the z28.

I dont have my chiltons book anymore

Old 12-13-2014, 12:31 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You have the factory manual in PDF from the manual section?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

no is there a link for it cause it sure would be helpful also is there a pdf for the chilton book?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 12-13-2014, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a bunch

Old 12-13-2014, 09:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pretty standard. i use pieces of pencel stuck in four corners of the intake to hold it up and help it to go into place when lowered. need to have it go straight as you can as you lower it so the front and rear gasket maker sets up right. i use pieces of pencil but I'm sure dowel will work. pencil fits tight and comes out pretty easy. you will want to set the intake down and mark one for length. if to long the intake holes will not line up right to lower it, too short and you its a pain to get them out once the intake is installed. cost me 100 bucks to have the intake powder coated. had it done in black.
Name:  intakeisdone.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  99.4 KB

Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that's clean and sexy lol I'm not sure if there is place to powder coat where I'm at I live in the mountains

Quick Reply: engin bay clean up