LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned
Default electrical problem

i was driving today...and my radio just turned off...randomly...i thought it was only my radio that was messed up, because the cd player was already broken...but i tried to turn down the windows while the radio was out...and they wouldnt go down...once my radio came back on like 30 seconds later, i was then able to turn my windows down...does anyone know what is causing this? also my engine service light keeps coming on...but i took it to get the OBD scan and there was no code given. The SES comes on then turns off like a day later...its weird...

Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: electrical problem

not sure if the electrical problem has anything to do with your service light but, you can reset your computer by disconnecting the battery cable for about 15 minutes and reconnecting. sick

Old 12-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Replace the ignition switch thats on the bottom portion of the steering colum. I had the same problem happen to me. The contacts get worn out and that switch is what all of your power goes through before actually reaching your windows and radio. It will also cause your a/c to stop working.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have also seen bad grounds or lose wires by the fuse box cause the same problems. So there are a few places to check.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Droid

Both the windows and radio get power from the Retained Acessory Power (RAP) module. The RAP gets power from a fusible link. Power goes from RAP to a circuit breaker for the windows, and a fuse for the radio. There are also two RAP relays involved. The relays are controlled by the door switches. If the door switches go bad they may cause improper operation of the relays and cause the RAP not to work.
The purpose of the RAP is to give 10-15 minutes of accessory power after the ignition switch is turned OFF. If a door is opened the power to the rap is removed shutting down the acessories.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 AM

Has anyone fixed this issue? I have the same problem. And if anyone else has gotten around to pinpointing what fixed it I would appreciate hearing what it was. Thanks. Also, if anyone knows where I might go to have someone work on this I would appreciate the advice. I would like to avoid the dealers but, who does this type of thing? A car stereo shop?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Droid

The RAP module is not a stereo thing, it just happpens that the module feeds both the radio and windows. This is so you can sit in the car with the key off and still be able to work the windows and radio. It shuts down after 10 minitues or immediately if open a door.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 PM

So, I was looking into my car stereo problem like this and I have come to the conclusion that when I hit the power locks button the radio comes on. I don't understand why pressing the power locks button would affect the radio and power windows? Is this still the ignition switch? I am think of replacing it but, I just don't know if that's the problem. Any help would be appreciated? I don't think it is that RAP thing as it does it when the car is running as well.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Droid

The RAP things also provides power to the radio and windows when the car is running, and also looks at the state of the door locks and door switches. Let us know what you find when you finally fix it.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry to bring this up , but i'm having a problem, see what you are saying pete, now my car has working power windows stereo, and power lock while the car is on or while in accy, but once the key is fully off, there is no power to the windows, power lock, or stereo, there is no 10 minutes for my car when the key is in off position, now it was doing this once in a while but now it does it all the time, i think there is a short somewere, does anyone have a wiring diagram that i can follow?

Quick Reply: electrical problem