LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

ECU or PCU failer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default ECU or PCU failer.

1995 Z28, 124,000 miles. OBD 1.5 witch is a OBD 1 with a computer controlled transmission.
The cruse control started to quit at times and on the highway the engine would stumble and almost quit but I could keep it going by using very little throttle, then the engine just quit running. After sitting there for sometime the car would start and run just fine enough to drive it home. When I was almost home when the transmission started to act up. The lockup converter would lockup at any speed, no coast down in gear and the trans. would shift up through the gears when I shifted down into first gear.
After getting back I removed the ECU or the PCU and started the engine.Then I moved around the blue cable connection to the ECU and the engine went dead. Bad ECU. I replaced the ECU ( I have a LT4 chip so I removed the LT4 chip before exchanging it and you'll need to keep the chip cover also. The new ECU did not come with one.) and the engine/transmission ran normal again.
I've had cars with around 150k on them and have had the ECU's go bad. So I knew it was the ECU/PCU. The ECU/PCU's on these 1995 cars also control the transmission. So it might not be a failing trans. but a ECU/PCU Failure. Checked the wiring and used more electrical tape the add some pipe insolation for more wiring protection.
Second problem link.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...t-start-75029/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Attached Thumbnails ECU or PCU failer.-ecu.jpg  

Last edited by VALHAR; 08-10-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ECU= Engine control unit Pre-1994 cars. PCU Power train control unit 1994 and up. If it controls the trans it is a PCU.

What codes are you getting? You are going to need a scan tool to watch what is going on. In one part of you description it sound just like a speed sensor was failing but that would do everything except the engine running ruff.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I just used my experience with ECU failure's. Some manuals say ECU others PCU.
ECU failures may wipe out trouble codes.
There a youtube on how to check this.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Droid

GM calls it a PCM, Powertrain Control Module. lol