LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Cranks, but won't start...sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Default Cranks, but won't start...sometimes...

1995 LT1 automatic

Just joined and read most of the threads before posting this. The problem with all of these threads is that I don't know where to start with my problem. I am reading a lot about opti-sparks and such. Here is my issue:

Just bought the car. Started it up and drove it as a test drive no problems. Trailered it home 3 hours and it wouldn't start when I tried to get it off the trailer.

It will crank but not fire most of the time. After it has been cold for a day or so it will fire up about 3 times, but it just dies shortly after firing. Then it just goes back to cranking again.

I made sure it has gas first of all, then I replaced the battery because it was bad anyway. I am thinking it is either a fuel delivery problem (filter, pump) or a spark or ignition issue. I CAN hear the pump turn on prior to trying to start the car though.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone??

Old 06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your fuel pressure. can u hear the fuel pump power up when u first turn on the key? without scanning it for trouble codes its hard to tell. ignition modual, coil, opti, plugs and wires, fuel pump, fuel pressure reglator, ignition switch, is the security light on? so if theres a way to get it scanned it would help a great deal. if u still have the trailer maybe tow it on over to auto zone and have them scann it. 95 s are a obd1 with a obd2 plug so a adapter is needed along with a compatable scanner.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

I generally can hear the pump. My neighbor is a retired mechanic and he plugged his computer in and it said "no codes found." So he thinks it is something simple. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I am going to try just the filter first, but I just hate to guess wrong and spend too much money. If it isn't the filter, I may just have to take it in to the shop

Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Does it actually crank freely or is it just a click-crank?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Droid

If the starter is able to spin the engine:
1) Check for good spark at the plugs, and fuel delivery

If no spark:
Check ignition coil, & ALL wiring and connectors attached to coil
Check ignition module, & ALL wiring and connectors attached to module
Check all wiring between Optispark, coil, ignition module, & PCM
Check for 12 Volt at "B" terminal on coil (pink wire) whit key ON.
Check or replace Opti

If spark is OK:
Check fuel pressure and pressure regulator function
Verify injectors are being pulsed. Use NOID lights. Flashing lites=good, steady on or off= bad.
Check the 2 fuel injection fuses
Listen to fuel injectors with stethoscope, they click everytime they operate.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-01-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when i first bought the z i have i drove it home, some 200 miles, and the next morning it would not start. dang starter went out but it tried a couple of times and just would not go. i looked at the plugs and noticed they were rusty and old. wires didnt look any better. changed the plugs and starter, it started right up. soo if it has older plugs u may want to change plugs also and they are a pita to change so most guys will not change em. i think thats why mine were so worn. the number 8 plug was really old. its the back one on the pasenger side and is the worst to get to.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks so much guys for your help. I am definitely going to change out the plugs and wires and the fuel filter first. I noticed yesterday that I didn't hear the pump so I am gonna do that to. I figure if I put in new plugs & wires, pump, & filter, it should be good. If it still doesn't start at that point, then maybe I am looking at the optispark distributor. This forum is great and I appreciate the input, it has helped me decide what to do

Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Default Solution

For anybody reading this, I just thought I'd let you know that the solution to my problem was the fuel pump. It was just too weak. I could hear it barely, but it eventually stopped making the noise when the key was turned. The camaro is running fine!

Thanks for your help