LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Cooling system question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Question Cooling system question

I just purchased a 95 Z28 with the 350ci for my daughter and a low coolent level light is appearing on the dash. It only comes on when the engine is warm. I have checked the coolent level and it appears to be good and the engine doesn't seem to be running hot according to the temp gauge. A friend suggested that there may be a bubble in the line causing this problem. Any suggestions? We have stopped driving the car and I quess I should have the entire system flushed and refilled. Do these engines have chronic cooling problems? Thanks for any advice!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear member

have the radiator cap off and then start the car when it starts running and heats up the thermostat will open up and it may go down if it does you then need to fill it up but it also may have a bubble

Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the radiator is full and the low coolant light is on then its not working right. sensor or wireing would be a good place to look.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Droid

The level sensors are notorious for going bad. Check the level by removing the radiator cap, the coolant should be up to the bottom of the filler neck. If OK and the light is still on, the sensor or wiring is bad. You can remove the sensor and clean it out or replace it, or if you are lazy just short the wire going to the sensor toghether.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Default I ama little frustrated!

I took the 95 z28 car to the dealer to have the cooling system completely flushed and refilled hoping that it would end my sensor light problems. I noticed the the coolent in the car was green...shouldn't it be red (dexall....)? The mechanic told me that they refilled it with whatever was specified from the day it was built. He said that they did not move to the red coolent until late 95 and my camaro must have been built in early 95. Is he feeding me a line and they did nothing to the car? Incidentally, on the way home...the low coolent light came back on!! What would you do?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Replace the sensor and flush it yourself. Doing your own work will assure that the job is done and done right. I had the same problem so I did a flush when I was swapping some cooling parts out, replaced the sensor and no more light.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Droid

Replace the sensor or tyake it out and clean it. Flushing the radiator and fresh coolant won't fix the problem.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

GM uses mostly Dexcool I know that.. which is orange-ish

Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Flushing won't fix the prob but he'll at least know it's fresh coolant. Defintely change out the sensor. I think I paid $50 for it at Napa.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USNAVYORDNANCE
Flushing won't fix the prob but he'll at least know it's fresh coolant. Defintely change out the sensor. I think I paid $50 for it at Napa.
Mine is overheating like crazy but its not boiling when it gets close to 280 and I turn off the car, but its definitely hot.. water pump is working, fans are working, the guy at the shop said its the radiator thats plugged up but it seems like the water is traveling down fine

Quick Reply: Cooling system question