LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default clutch?

ok so today i started my car and it was very hard getting it into gear. then drove it about 10 feet and it was making a grinding noise and popped out of gear. now it wont go back into any gear. if i force it in it makes a real bad grinding noise upon trying to move. im broke as hell but need my car badly. whats up? bad clutch? or can i just replace a part in the clutch and be on my way? if so can you link that part.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ok having some difficulty finding a replacement clutch for the t56. kragen sais 219$ and its an 11 inch diameter. but that sounds a little cheap for the t56 clutch kit. were can i get a good one? any recommendations?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Droid

Push down on the clutch pedal and see if a helper can push the car and move it a few feet. If the car can be moved with the clutch released, then the transmission is in trouble. Considering you mentioned that it jumped out of gear and locked up, I suspect the gearbox.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

i hope not man. i just went outside and the clutch will let it go into gear just fine. but when i try to let the clutch out it just makes a bad grinding noise. i actually don't think it popped out, i think i took it out as soon as i heard the pop and mass grinding noise.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm going to focus on that it won't go into any gear and you get grinding

First, do you have fluid in the cylinder?

next, if you do, with the vehicle running, pump the clutch pedal 6 times and see if it goes into gear. if it does, then you may be looking at a master and or slave cylinder. I replace both whenever one goes bad because you can't tell which one failed.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

it has fluid and i have tried pumping alot. it goes into gear fine now but it wouldnt go into gear before this happened. but when i try to release the clutch i get a bad grinding noise.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Droid

With the transmission in neutral, do you get grinding sounds when you work the cluch pedal???

Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like the slave cylinder to me
mine was doing that tring to go into reverse and that fixed my problem i had a piece of my case brake off and sit on top of third and fourth and i couldnt get it in

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

i only get the noises a tiny bit in neutral sometimes. im going to replace the clutch and the slave and master. maybe the throwout. ill insepct when i get it out. i really hope its nothing serious. tranny was fine before. ill repost what it was when i find some cash and get it out.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Overdrive Member

That seems like the right price for a clutch kit. Since Sachs and other brands started putting the entire clutch assy in a kit the prices went down alot. I sell them all the time and I rarely ever get one back on warranty. Good stuff there

Massey

Quick Reply: clutch?