LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Catback ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Default Catback ?

A couple of people currently told me that I should invest in a catback system for my 95 z28. Currently all I have done to the exhaust (noheaders yet)is weld an 88 series flowmaster on keeping the 2.5 in stock piping. What Ive been curious about is will upgrading to a catback with 3.00 in piping in and out going to give me a hp gain and make the car louder? Also what's the difference between buying a catback system with 2.5 in piping in and out over just welding a performance muffler on. If I decide to do the catback system should I stick with flowaster or consider something else. Another thing, what is a mid pipe, and will it make me fail inspection in the state of VA.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Catback ?

Nothing is going to make you fail inspection unless you tamper with the cat in the Y-pipe. That said, an entire 3" system probably won't get you too much more over just an aftermarket muffler, but the benefit of the entire aftermarket system is that it's all mandrel bent. The stock system is all compression bent and it gets a little constrictive when it makes the bent to go over the axle. Most people seem to prefer the Magnaflow system over the Flowmaster.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Member

My Magnaflow system goes on this weekend. I'll let you know how it went and I have a 95 Z as well.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 PM

definatly give me some feedback on your system.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Once i figure out how to upload a video to youtube, i'll post a link.

Anyway, the car has no cat any more and I went with the magnaflow system. It was pretty straightforward to install and that was with the rear on ramps and the front on jack stands. If I had a service lift it would have been a snap.

Anyway, WOW!!! What a difference in sound when you punch it. The rumble at idle is good but when you punch it, the sound is nice and does justice to a small block chevy vs the stock muffler. So, I now have the CAI, deleted cat and the magnaflow. I had the computer reflashed and had already replaced the optispark, cables and plugs.

It's running much better now and sounds great. I won't bother putting it on a dyno. The car has plenty of torque. It's nothing earth shattering but is plenty.

UPDATE on the whole project. This week, I'm getting the Z06 rims for the rear bored out so they fit. I just clay bar'd and waxed the car. The interior will get a thorough detailing. After that, I will make the scoops functional so they will allow a little heat to escape. I'll then take photos and post. Everyone here has been helpful and have a bit of ownership in the project.

Oh, I also have to replace the passenger window motor but the write up here is awesome and should be very helpful.

Side note/observation: someone at GM was really confused when they designed the 95 Z28. Be sure to have metric and SAE wrenches and sockets readily available because you will run into both on almost every project.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Oh, one thing. When you tighten the tail pipes. Do not ask your son (if you have one) to tell you if they are both equal. After I tightened them and slid out from underneath...yup, one pipe was about an inch lower. No biggie to adjust but use a tape measure. Some people, myself included, have a terrible visual judgment about if something is straight, or even.

And while you're right there, it's a good time topump out the differential fluid and change it and also replace the fuel filter. You're right there so you may as well do it.