LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Car wont start

Hello, im having trouble with my car. I was driving on city streets and came to a stop and at the green light it almost died on me, drove back home with engine loosing power if i step on the gas a bit hard, got home and car started to wanna die on me, so i tried revving the engine and could not get it to go over 3000 rmps. Shut off the engine tried starting it again and the rpms started dropping from about 700 to 300, shut it off again tried restarting again and started at very low rpms 200 and died, can not get it started again, sounds like it wants to start but it doesnt, i can hear the fuel pump working when i turn the key to the on position, checked for fuel preassure at engine and looks good. Checked all fuses and theyre all ok. Any suggestions???? Its a 97 T/A 6spd with LT1. thanks

Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, i let the car cool down a bit tried to start it again and it did, rpms at about 600 but when i stepped on the gas the rpms went down and back up when i took my foot of the gas pedal, noticed if i step on the gas very gently it will rev up to 4000???

Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Its your catalytic converter.

See here and tell me if this is what your car is doing:

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...s-power-59903/

Hope it helps. Let us know!!

BTW, quick way to check is to have someone rev the engine and look and see if metal flakes come out of the tailpipe. DEAD giveaway!!

Good luck, and keep stompin' Rustanks!!

x01660

Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It sounds similar, so if the cat is plugged i should be able to see little pieces of metal coming out the exhaust?? Even when the engine wants to die when i push the gas pedal?? I cant get the rpms up to 3000 anymore. I did notice a bit of backfire not loud when it idles steady for about 5 seconds.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Originally Posted by Luz Hernandez
It sounds similar, so if the cat is plugged i should be able to see little pieces of metal coming out the exhaust?? Even when the engine wants to die when i push the gas pedal?? I cant get the rpms up to 3000 anymore. I did notice a bit of backfire not loud when it idles steady for about 5 seconds.
It depends on how the cat has failed. Your best bet is to unbolt the cat and take a looksie. Or, if your car is like mine, have it cut off. But I am almost 100% sure its the cat. That is exactly what happened to mine.

Clogged cat creates massive backpressure, hence no revving high, rough idle, loss of power, etc. Good luck!!

x01660

Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Also, check this out:

What Are the Symptoms of a Clogged Catalytic Converter? | eHow.com

I know its an Ehow page, but the info is spot on.

x01660

Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you, i will cut tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok im back, didnt get to cutting today because i tried starting the car and it started right up, a bit of back fire at idle (not loud), and it idled at 1100-1200 rmps, drove it to get the check engine light checked and it didnt die, while the car was in neutral going down a little hill at about 30mph, the rpm was at 1500 herd a bit of backfire and droped to 1300 and went back up to 1500, got to advance auto parts got my codes (11), and went back home, when i got home the rpms dropped again and went back to doing the same thing i described at the begging of this thread, pushed the gas pedal and rpms drop, did that for about 30 seconds and rpms dropped till the engine died, should i still cutting the cat? Here are the codes i got,

P0123-TPS sensor A circuit high input
P0171-Bank 1 system too lean (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0174-Bank 2 system too lean (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0335- Crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0336-Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0441-Evap emission system incorrect purge flow (this code came out twice in the same test)

Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
The Mustang Hunter

Originally Posted by Luz Hernandez
Ok im back, didnt get to cutting today because i tried starting the car and it started right up, a bit of back fire at idle (not loud), and it idled at 1100-1200 rmps, drove it to get the check engine light checked and it didnt die, while the car was in neutral going down a little hill at about 30mph, the rpm was at 1500 herd a bit of backfire and droped to 1300 and went back up to 1500, got to advance auto parts got my codes (11), and went back home, when i got home the rpms dropped again and went back to doing the same thing i described at the begging of this thread, pushed the gas pedal and rpms drop, did that for about 30 seconds and rpms dropped till the engine died, should i still cutting the cat? Here are the codes i got,

P0123-TPS sensor A circuit high input
P0171-Bank 1 system too lean (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0174-Bank 2 system too lean (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0335- Crankshaft position sensor A circuit malfunction (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0336-Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance (this code came out twice in the same test)
P0441-Evap emission system incorrect purge flow (this code came out twice in the same test)

Hmmm....

Other forum members chime in on this because I am not 100% sure, BUT...

I think that the car has gone in "limp mode" because of the crankshaft position sensor. This is what I would do:

First thing, adjust the TPS:

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...e2/#post434065

Then check your O2 sensors since it seems that they might be fouled, and that puts the car in an endless loop of sensing that it is too lean, so it adds more fuel which causes it to run rich, which fouls the sensors, ad infinitum...

Then check your crankshaft position sensor itself, located in the block:

I can't attach the PDF of the complete diagnostic for it since it is too big. PM me and I will email it to you.

If that does not solve your problem, you might have another issue such as a bad timing belt. See here:

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction Engine Light Code

And the evap canister means that your emissions equipment is bad or you have a vacuum hose leaking. If you are in a no emsiions test county, youre good. If you live in CA like me, you gotta get that fixed.

PM me and I will also send the diagnostics and R&R for it.

If I have given any bad info, forum members, correct it please.

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!

x01660

Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

failing evap system can make it run rich.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-51219/

Quick Reply: Car wont start