LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

can you help me out??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Default can you help me out??

Alright so heres the deal.
I recently got my LT1 camaro back after 6 months of repairs. We had the engine completely rebuilt after only 73000 miles because a blown headgasket. It was completely repaired. Now heres where i get lost. we got it back and just 3 days later it seemed to be running a little warm it would creep up almost 3/4 of the heat guage so we decided to get it checked we thought it mightve been the fans or the radiator. So then i get a call and the place we took it to said that theres carbon monoxide in the water. Is this a blown head gasket or is something cracked? The place that rebuilt the engine said they magnafluxed everything is t possible they couldve missed a hairline fracture?
I dnt think the head gasket wouldve blown after only 33 miles it never reached the red zone on the heat guage.
If you have any insight i would be glad to hear it

Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

dude i would be sad... but if they repaired it they should be at fault for not fixing it properly. i would just go back and raise hell! nothing works quite like a fist ya know.but seriously, it sounds like a bad repair. improper fluids were placed somewhere. i had a similar qierd issue with my new lt4. turned out to be all kinds of messed up ****! they fixed it for 800$ then when i drove it off it started slighlty overheating, they said they would fix it for 400$ cause the radiator was bad. i thought they replaced it. but they cut corners and thought they could just refurbish the old one. so they tried me for another 400$! i just got pissed and they gave in and i got the 800$ back and the radiator fixed for free. NEVER have a shops fix your problems... i would buy a chiltons, subject the problem to a few different ones and fix it yourself. that is... if you can't get mad enough to make them fix it for messin up. honestly that sounds like a coolant issue, i would personally check your radiator. then fluids.

Last edited by imcdowel; 08-11-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: idk
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

im not an expert, but i try... lol, sorry if my advice wasnt helpfull. tell you what, i have two personal mechanics, they help me fix almost everything, i can ask them in the morning what is up with your car and see if i can't get a truly helpfull answer for you.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this story. CO in your cooling system is bad no matter how you look at it. You have a good case for a DMV claim if your state has such a thing. Here in Ct. you can go to the DMV and ask them to review your problem and get involved with the dealer/repairer and yourself to come to an agreement that pleases everyone. You shouldn't have to spend $ again fixing your original complaint especially after what you just spent and the short amount of time you have had your car back. Good luck and try to keep your cool with the shop until all is back to normal.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a faulty rebuild. take it back and make em fix it. a engine rebuild is not cheap and should bring the motor back to a stock (as close as can be) new condition. was the rebuild done by a shop or backyard mechanic.