LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Camaro About to Explode

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Default Camaro About to Explode

Cylinders are dropping like flies in my 97.
I've had it for about 4 years and through out that 4 years the service engine soon light has been on due to an EGR valve failure.
I tried to have it fixed by a few places and for whatever reason, no one could do it. I felt no difference in performance, so i figured **** it.
Earlier this week it started running really rough and the service engine light started flashing, so I took it to the dealership.
They said there's about 6 codes coming up and they want to fix the first one, which relates to the damn EGR valve again.
Supposedly the fuel canister is breaking apart and charcoal is blocking up a sensor which is causing the car to run extremely rich.
I'm not too keen on emissions stuff and I'm wondering if I'm being taken for a ride and it's totally something else, or could emission control devices cause this bad of a misfire.
I haven't left the car with them. I still have it, but it's misfiring like a ****; almost didnt make it home tonight.
I dunno, maybe I fell asleep in autoshop, but if a car is running on the rich side, why would it misfire??
I would assume it's electrical, but then again, with all the ****ing stupid sensors on the car.... wah wah wee wah.

any tips would be great.
thanks
[:@]

Old 12-01-2006, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Camaro About to Explode

Not a whole lot we can tip you on without some code numbers.

Guesses just don't cut it, so why spin you around doing just that...

Old 12-01-2006, 03:19 AM

point taken.
i'll get the codes tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 PM

I tried to get the code numbers today from the dealership.
Guess what? THEY DIDN'T HAVE THEM. No one took any ****ing notes.

So now, after all this time spent, I'm not going to have them even look at my car again.
It really sucks how I don't even have enough time to have SOMEONE ELSE fix my car.

So thanks for listening.
fart.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Run your car over to like, Checker Autoparts or some place like that, they should read the codes out of it for free. If the car is running really rich, it could be causing misfires because the plugs are getting too much soot on them from the excess crap in the fuel that isn't burning right. Pull one of your plugs and see how it looks as far as buildup, that should give you a picture of how rich you are running.