LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

A/C refill

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A/C refill

Hey guys i was just wondering if i buy a bottle of refrigerant from the auto parts store, do i need something to refill my A/C i mean a special tool or something? or should i just go and pay 120 dollars for a refill thats alot of money any ideas?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A/C refill

Some of the bottles come with a hose.Thats all you need.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

so it can be refill than yeah thanks ya

Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

hey guys, well i bought the can, 20 bux, i read the instrcutions pretty fair , color codes for troubleshooting, and well the pressure was at 0 which mean it needed refill, i pore some took it all the way to about 40 psi, when i disconnected the hose i could hear air asking from the connection tube thats not suppose to happen right, my air is still hot, how long does the car have to be on so the air can kick in, or whats up? also did i pore it in the right connections, there is two, one that is right were the the radiator cap is at, and another back to were were the alternator is at, which connection is it, i pore it in the one that is near the radiator.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

how do i know if my A/C compressor works or not?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Droid

The refrigerant gets put in on the low pressure side, the fittings are of different sizes to prevent blowing up the can and slicing you up. Blue cap is low, Red cap is high. If the gage read 0 PSI the system is totally empty and you need about 3 cans to fill it up. Also the compressor needs to be working, otherwise the system won't fill up. Problem, the compressor won't run with an empty system, so you need to short out the low pressure switch.
Things to remember:
If system was opened, all the air and moisture needs to be pumped out with a special high vacuum pump, also the receiver dryer should be replaced. Moisture in system will cause internal icing and the AC won't work.
If system developed a sudden big leak and all the freon got blown out, the lube oil went out with the Freon. Add a small can of the proper lube, depending on type of refrigerant.
Electric fans need to be working when the AC is on, otherwise no cooling, and system pressure builds op till it triggers the high pressure switch and stops the compressor from working.
To see if compressor is working, you can listen to the clutch engaging, or take a look at the compressorpulley, the entire assembly should be spinning, not just the portion with the belt.
Too much refrigerant willruin the compressor, blow hoses, damage condenser andevaporator, cause condenser to ice up & keep air from flowing through it, resulting in no cooling.
If you had a leak and did not fix it, it will continue leaking.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM

good to know what is the easy and cheepest way to discharge it? i think i have to much pressure