LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Best flowing muffler for a lt1

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Best flowing muffler for a lt1

I'm planning on doing 1 3/4 longtube headers off road y-pipe no cats.
Right now I have flowmaster muffler on it and not sure if 3 inch pipe is common after the cat and that's what I have.
I was looking at magnaflow hooker and dynomax which one sounds the best with free flowing exhaust? Or is there better put there?
I might go lm2 but worried how loud it's gonna turn out

Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabbem88
I'm planning on doing 1 3/4 longtube headers off road y-pipe no cats.
Right now I have flowmaster muffler on it and not sure if 3 inch pipe is common after the cat and that's what I have.
I was looking at magnaflow hooker and dynomax which one sounds the best with free flowing exhaust? Or is there better put there?
I might go lm2 but worried how loud it's gonna turn out
3 inch pipe is what most aftermaket catback systems are so you have nothing unique there.

go to youtube and type in 19xx or 2xxx camaro or transam exhaust

then, sit back and enjoy the 25,292 videos. You could also type in magnaflow camaro or slp camaro and watch the 12,873 videos

if it sounds like the exhaust horse has been beaten to death then you are correct. head on over to youtube.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The point about the 3 inch part was asking if it's stock or aftermarket and figured the 3 inch was a bonus nothing more.
And my question was which flowed the most and sounds the best of the three

So in regards to beating the horse I applaud you pointing out my contradiction of repetitive posts. I was looking for a tad more info than soley sound. But it's all good though. I will go to YouTube now

Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear member

I love my lm2 on my car. They are loud but they have an awesome tone. They arent too bad when you are cruising but as soon as you put any pressure down at all it lets you know that its there lol.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

The Dynomax Bullet mufflers are nice. They're a straight through design and LOUD!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

See I had dynomax on my stang with 1 7/8 primaries and custom x-pipe and it sounded
Wicked but wondered how you tie it to the current catback unless that's where a true dual comes to play? I want the most flow outside of cutouts and straight pipes

Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabbem88
The point about the 3 inch part was asking if it's stock or aftermarket and figured the 3 inch was a bonus nothing more.
And my question was which flowed the most and sounds the best of the three

So in regards to beating the horse I applaud you pointing out my contradiction of repetitive posts. I was looking for a tad more info than soley sound. But it's all good though. I will go to YouTube now

again, I'm not picking on you but the newest 4th gen is 10 years old. The oldest is 19 years old. Of course exhaust has been discussed, no pun intended, exhaustively.

As for flow, any aftermarket is better than stock. That is a given. You will get lots of opinions about which is better, sounds better etc. At the end of the day, you are excited about your first mods which is a good thing. You need to balance your personal taste with your budget. When you are on youtube, search on dyno results or bolt on dyno results. It's all there because we've had 10-19 years to be doing the stuff.

On here, you'll get opinions. On youtube, you will see examples

good luck

Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Your right I saved one that has an example of dyno a complete stock 93 camaro same color as mine with over 100k miles and is auto made 230rwhp
Then did exhaust<shorties high flow cats,cai,tune,and a magnaflow catback oh and an underdrive pulley for crank and it made 277rwhp so that tells me that I can do pacesetters no cats tune for e-85 and make close to 300rwhp on a m6. It's a perfect video of what I said earlier about making a sticky with just that dyno video alone
Cause if somebody want 350-400rwhp after the bolt ons it's basically a heads and cam away.
Trust me mr. Torque everything on any forum just gets old that's part of life I guess lol

Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Best flow will definately come out of true duals.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anybody here done it recently on here with pics so I can have an idea how they ran the pipes?

Quick Reply: Best flowing muffler for a lt1