LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

BACKPRESSURE: Someone please dispel the myth

Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM
The Mustang Hunter
Default BACKPRESSURE: Someone please dispel the myth

Ok, here we go

1995 Z/28 M6 Convertible

Bone stock (all the way down to the air box)

So I drive the car with the stock muffler on.
All is good

All I did was take the muffler off (so I am running straight pipe from where it bends and goes into the muffler assembly)

I SWEAR Im losing torque...

Is this possible? Am I just going crazy?

Anyone with a scientifically formulated response would be greatly appreciated. Love the sound, but if Im losing power, no thanks.

Thanks y'all!!

x01660

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear member

You lose some torque and gain some hp. My car feels the same way when I open my cut out.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm not sure about your guys but my car did the exact opposite. When it was bone stock, I hit 130 on the highway (being a stupid 16 year old at the time) and it did it pretty quick, but I could never break it loose from a dig. Now with headers and straight pipes all the way back, it can break loose every time, but takes longer on the top end side. Not sure about it but that's what happened to me.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i also have straight pipes and i feel like my car has done the same.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear member

OK, so the way it looks from what was said so far. If you take away SOME backpressure, you lose torque but gain more top end, but if you take away just about ALL backpressure you gain torque but lose top end.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
The Mustang Hunter

I just wanna know for sure. I don't have a dyno to see what the real numbers are, nor do I have a safe place to do another top speed pull (so far 144 MPH in 6th at 3k RPM). Just interested if one of the more experienced forum users (cough... craby.... cough... specter... cough...cough...) would have some numbers to prove just what is happening. But thanks for all of the responses. Interesting to see how the same action can have two completely different results...

x01660

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear member

https://camaroforums.com/forum/intak...01/#post532179
Here you go. Look at the links in this thread. I didn't read them but it's just some more information for you.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Yes, read those links. Particularly the second and third one will explain what's going on.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
4th Gear Member

it might also be that by hearing a louder exhaust, it may seem like the engine is working harder for what is perceived to be the same or less result. But, when you out on the muffler you don't hear it as much and this pay less attention to the rpm's.

Pay attention to a pickup truck with a loud exhaust. It sounds like it should be going like a bat out of he%$ but there it be, creeping along and accellerating slowly.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

back pressure is a myth. what your really looking for is the optimal exhaust flow velocity. people equate back pressure to power because one size pipe does not fit all rpm ranges. you do not lose trq and gain hp. your just shifting your power in the rpm band essentially.

What you are looking for is a system that lets the engine breath the with out restriction. But you also want the exhaust that has left the engine and going through the pipe to draw air into the engine. The exhaust flowing through the system is flowing at a good velocity so it pulls the rest of it with it. Its does this because your exhaust works in pulses and creates low pressure behind those pulses.

Now here is the real problem. like all thing engine related if you want to gain some where it generally means you have to give some where. You cant put pipes on your car that are optimal for all rpm ranges. What you are doing by putting bigger pipes on it making the exhaust flow optimal for higher rpm ranges when the exhaust has the highest flow. the only company i have heard of that has tried to combat this is farrari who added a second set of pipes that opened up at higher rpm ranges.

I hope i explained that well enough im not very smart or good at articulating my thoughts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BACKPRESSURE: Someone please dispel the myth