LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Auto to manual trans swap clarification

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Default Auto to manual trans swap clarification

I did some searching and did not find any real conclusive guide to swapping out the factory slushbox for a t-56. I am VERY farmiliar with a/t to m/t conversions is other RWD cars (nissan 240sx in particular) and I am also a mechanic and have access to the shop whenever I need so the difficulty of the install is not really a big concern to me.

First off exactly what parts are necessary. I would assume:
-trans
-flywheel & flywheel bolts
-clutch kit & pressure plate bolts
-driveshaft???
-crossmember
-clutch pedal assembly
-brake pedal???
-clutch master and slave
-clutch line and hose

I have question marks by the driveshaft and the brake pedal because those are parts that are necessary on the 240sx, but I am not sure would be on the camaro. On the 240 you can also simply trim the brake pedal rather then swapping it out. If the pedal is, in fact, different between a/t and m/t camaros can it simply be trimmed as well?

Second, what needs to be done electrically? On the 240sx (s-13) all you have to really do is swap the ecu and wire up the reverse lights. In my searching here I have read that you can simply get your stock ecu on a camaro chipped/re-flashed to eliminate the a/t functions. Is this true? Would this be the cost-effective way to go? My buddy had and lt-1 camaro w/6-speed so I know about the pesky "skip shift" thing. Can that simply be eliminated or do I have to wire it up and buy the stopper kit? What else needs to be wired up and how difficult is it to do? I know the parts are not going to be nearly as cheap as I am used to with my 240, but I can get a 95 camaro for REALLY cheap right now so unless we are talking about $2000 + I am really not that concerned.

Last edited by racepar1; 05-19-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Oh if you were only near my location. I want to swap the other way, from a t-56 to an automatic. I have a bad left knee. I have a 96 z28 that I just put a brand new AC Delco clutch kit in. If I could find someone willing and trustworthy that wanted to do the work I would love to swap. In am no mechanic so I cannot do the work myself. You can get a simple plug in skip shift from Summit, Jegs or ebay that will eliminate the skip shift trash. Mine has already been eliminated. So where are you anyway? Later, Shane.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

hey shane where you located cuz i could would like to do that aswell, i have a a/t that was rebuilt last year by the previous owner and id like to swap in a m/t, lemme know justin

Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Overdrive Member

The driveshaft is the same for all 4th gens. So you won't need that. It also appears that the brake pedal is part of the clutch pedal assembly. Everywhere I look it is anyways. There go your question marks

Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Default Manual Swap

Originally Posted by mpd228
Oh if you were only near my location. I want to swap the other way, from a t-56 to an automatic. I have a bad left knee. I have a 96 z28 that I just put a brand new AC Delco clutch kit in. If I could find someone willing and trustworthy that wanted to do the work I would love to swap. In am no mechanic so I cannot do the work myself. You can get a simple plug in skip shift from Summit, Jegs or ebay that will eliminate the skip shift trash. Mine has already been eliminated. So where are you anyway? Later, Shane.

Hey i was interested in doing the exact opposite swap. If you are still looking for a donor let me know where you are located.
thanks