LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Advice on suspension mods.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Default Advice on suspension mods.....

Well I finally got the ole' 1996 Z-28 running great again.
I've been wanting to do some more mods to it ,and figure what better place to start than the suspension. Kinda goofy to build power that you can't utilize.
So here is the part where I need the advice as this is my first 4th gen. build. Also I should probably mention that my cars end goal is great overall handling not just straight line. I drive on a lot of fun curvy country roads and love to enjoy them lol.
So the question or point of advice I'm after is what suspension or chassis components should I replace, upgrade, or brace first?? I should also mention that I'm not trying to drop 10k into the suspension either, so there is a bit of a budget. I'm open to any suggestions on where to start upgrading and/or bracing. As long as it hooks up better than it does now and handles well I'm happy. I do know I want to install some Progressive rate handling coils and get it a little lower in the process of that, but what is a trusted brand of coils to buy??
Looking forward to any advice. thanks for reading.

Also I have a full shop with every thing from T.I.G welders to Plasma cutters to that's not an issue.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well first thing would be springs and shocks, then LCA's and with the car lowered you would want to get the relocation brackets for those also. The pan-hard bar, tourqe brace bar, and strut tower bar would be good also, then some bigger sway bars. If you want to go all out, you can get a tubular K-member and tubular upper and lower A-arms. That's a lot of money for those though.

I like BMR products, but a lot of people will tell you to talk to strano about any suspension. I don't have the info. for him but if you do any kind of search on suspension you'll find it.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Overdrive Member

First off welcome to the forums.

Second (and I dont mean to sound like an a$$ here but..) do a search you will find about 100 threads on the same subject, 2 that were going just last week and are still prolly on the first pages.

Third, the first thing that seems to be on everyones mind when it comes to suspension mods is the struts. I am not going to recomend a brand or model for you do your own research. Everyone here has their own opinion on what is best and why, I dont feel like getting into a fight about that.

Tower brace, and these are engine and model specific, LS1, LT1, 3.4L, 3.8L all have different braces. Check out summit for them they seem to have them all in stock in 2 or 3 colors.

Replace those stamped steel rear control arms and panhard bar. Camaro Performers ran a nice build up of the rear of a 4th gen in the Oct issue. Check it out online on their website.

And since your car is T-top I would recomend subframe connectors.

The biggest weakness in the front suspension is the upper control arm. There are several brands of tubular upper and lower arms for the car out there, again not going to say what one is better or not just research it out and find the one that works best for your budget.

Massey

Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the quick response guys. Thank you for the advice and ideas. Starting to get a better idea on where to start and which direction to go in.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Got some advice to contact Sam Strano from a buddy on another forum earlier. I gave him a call ,and he was probably the most help full person I have ever encountered about anything F body. He really saved me a bunch of cash and didn't try to sell me a bunch of crap I didn't need. Told me that I didn't need half of what I thought I did to acquire the handling I was after. If anyone ever needs anything suspension, chassis, or lot's of other area's for your F-body I would definitely recommend him to anyone. You can contact him at http://www.Stranoparts.com/

Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 PM

I really don't think it matters, but I just noticed that his website has more than just F-body parts also. Figured I'd correct myself before someone else did lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
The biggest weakness in the front suspension is the upper control arm. There are several brands of tubular upper and lower arms for the car out there, again not going to say what one is better or not just research it out and find the one that works best for your budget.

Massey
wats wrong with the upper A arms? ive never heard of a problem with the stock ones. it's actually the only suspension piece i didn't buy. cuz the factory piece is lighter then tubular.