LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Advice for lifter replacment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Advice for lifter replacment?

So I've got a 94 z28 that I just started having some noise coming from the valve train and I'm about 99% sure It's a lifter. I'm planning on replacing it but I'm not sure if I should just go with stock lifters or if anyone has any advice on a better aftermarket option. Also next summer I'm planning on doing a cam swap once I have the money. I'm not going anything too serious, prob either the gm hot cam kit or something similar and possibly port the stock heads. I don't know if that will make a difference for what lifters I should get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Droid

The stock lifters will handle the GM Hot Cam OK. However, if you plan to get something bigger, ask the cam maker what lifters will go good with that particular cam.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

90% of the time GM lifter noise is causes by carbon deposits. Unless you have already tried you should run some seafoam or like cleaner through the motor then finish off with a really good oil like Mobil one and a good filter.

Until you have tried that I would not replace the lifters. Also the GM hot cam is older tech, You can find much better engineered cam what will out preform the Hot cam with less stress on the valve train.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whats your oil pressure, cold and at operating temp, idle and at operating rpms? is it ticking or rattling? does it do it throughout the rpm range?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah I've already ran gunk motor flush through and then changed the oil and filter right after, then a ran some marvel mystery oil through both the brake booster vaccuum hose and some in the gas tank, didn't help any. When cold my oil psi is just above 40 then warm drops to about 20 at idle and yeah it varies directly with the rpm, the higher the rpm the faster it sounds, I'm not really sure how to describe the sound, not really a tick but definitely not a rattle.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Also it rarely makes the sound when the engine is cold but once it warms up its pretty constant

Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what wt of oil are you using and what oil filter? have you taken valve covers off and checked the rockers out, look at the valve springs too, you may have one thats not happy. are you sure its coming from the lifters/rockers and not from under the car or alternator? how about a recording of it

Last edited by craby; 12-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've got castrol high mileage 5w30 oil with a Bosch oil filter, the engine has almost 150000 miles on it. And no I haven't taken anything apart yet but its comin from the back passenger side of the engine, I'm like 95% sure its coming from the top but last time I tried recording it didn't work to well my exhaust was too loud. If it is a lifter will it hurt anything to run it until summer or should I be fixing it pretty soon?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you know it could be a exhaust leak, they sound allot like a lifter when leaking between head and manifold and when the engine warms up the gap will close and noise will get less. if nothing else you could try 10w30.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I do know I have an exhaust leak but I can hear that seperate, plus the sound gets louder when the engine warms up, nobody's really answered my question about if it could mess up my engine if I dont get it fixed yet... Haha I don't mean to sound pushy but I really don't wanna mess somethin up

Quick Reply: Advice for lifter replacment?