LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Abs light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by critt86
Yea my cruise control does not work either... could that really be because of the one bulb in the spoiler? im gonna change it today. where is the plug in the rear?
Short answer, Yes. I didn't have cruise control and the ABS INOP light was on when I bought my car. Changed two burnt out bulbs (they were even the wrong type) from the third brake light and both problems fixed.

ABS and cruise both work great now.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ it may be theres led lights in it. that would draw way less amps and might screw it up. by chance is the stereo acting up?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Good point. I didn't consider that there are a lot of those LED mods around.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so, question- I have aftermarket taillights and the third brake lights up on the raised tail fin- the lights all work, my front sensors (from what I see) are good- so could all my after market lighting cause the ABS light to be on?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if they are led lights, yes.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear member

The LED lights have a different resistance than a standard bulb, and the way the brake lights are wired with the ABS sensor on the axle the resistance is important.

Check out this link for a little more information on the LED third brake light issues:
http://shbox.com/1/relay_for_ss_spoiler.jpg

Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So how can I eliminate the LED lights as being the reason the lights are on as opposed to something else? Can you change the resistance somehow so the light will not turn on (the warning light)? All my bulbs work.. is this a sending problem that my computer needs to accept (how that would work IDK)

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Take a look at the link I sent you. You can see that by putting a standard automotive relay in parallel with the LED lights, you can create the proper resistance and "fool" the computer into believing that the original incandescant lamps are still there.

If you do this, and the ABS light is still on, then you may have a problem somewhere else.

Some shops can scan your ABS for error codes, and they should be able to tell you if the wheel sensors are working properly.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Talking Look Ma, brakes work and no feet

Thanks to this post, my ABS light is off and my cruise control works again. I wired in a relay between - and +, and actually used the relay to power the tail light. Not only did it clear ABS/Cruise control, but it stopped the backfeed to ground causing the LED's to be lightly powered on during normal operation. Go figure.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by layzurguy
Thanks to this post, my ABS light is off and my cruise control works again. I wired in a relay between - and +, and actually used the relay to power the tail light. Not only did it clear ABS/Cruise control, but it stopped the backfeed to ground causing the LED's to be lightly powered on during normal operation. Go figure.
I just checked my 3rd brake light and noticed it is powered by LED's, about 1/4 which are out. Also have my abs inop light on and wondered if this would:
1. turn the abs inop light off and/or
2. make all the lights glow.
I'm also wondering if someone can clarify what relay I need. Is there a link to what I'm looking for? The wiring diagram just made me think of somehow putting a fuse into the circuit but I know nothing about electricity and I guess that shows. Anyone wanna give the newb some much appreciated pointers? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Abs light is on.